Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Duramax Diesel. I replaced my starter with a…

I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 Duramax Diesel. I replaced my starter with a brand new starter. I was able to tap on the starter for about a month with it starting. Now that I have a new starter the truck will no start. The lights flicker etc. On the DIC it says that something about repair charging syster

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The inside lights and lights on the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2009 Duramax Diesel 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the starter

3/26/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Did you disconnect the battery when you replaced the starter at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

I took the negative cables off both batteries

Is this a GMC or Chevy full size truck?

2009 2500 Duramax Chevy Diesel LMM

O.k., give me a minute here and I will look up some diagram info and info on this fault and reply back here.

Thanks Pete

One more question have you checked to make sure none of the two batteries are discharged/dead at all?

i haven't checked the batteries. BUt they haven't been bad before i replaced the starter
I have this service battery charging system display

Just in case one is dead.LIghts can flicker and this message can appear as well as a no start with weak or dead batteries.It would be a good idea to check this if you can first just to make sure they are o.k. and to make sure the battery cables are clean and tight on the batteries themselves.

If this is o.k. locate on the passenger side firewall the 175 amp mega fuse.If you have a multi meter with the battery disconnected remove the fuse and test the resistance on each side of the fuse.You should show a resistance reading and if it shows open circuit then the fuse had blown needing replaced.This will also cause this fault here.

If these are found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Do i need to disconnect both batteries when i check the fuse? What will my multimeter say to tell me it is an open circuit? What fuse number is *****? Does it say 175 amp on it?
Could my alternator be shot too?

It should look similar to this here and should have a cover over it.My info is not showing me the picture of the location but it is located on the right passenger side under the hood.With both batteries disconnected, you can disconnect and remove it and take one lead of the meter and touch one side of it and the other lead to the other side of it.It is is a bad fuse it will show OL or similar but if it shows numbers on the meter instead like .8 or 1.1 or similar then the fuse is o.k.

It is very possible the alternator has a fault in it.If you have not had it tested this needs done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8ghoedyhkd9dww/mega-03-26.jpg?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

i will check this and get back with you. Also could the new starter be bad? It still only clicks the lights on the inside are dim though

It is also possible the starter is faulty out of the box but usually, a faulty starter won't cause the message you see.To me, from here it sounds like poor battery or starter connections or a weak or dead battery.But I would check that mega fuse as well for any issues.You can have a local parts store test the starter and alternator usually free of charge.

Thanks Pete

Both batteries needed to be replaced. Getting a 14.35 charged with a running truck

It sounds like the fault has been located.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician