Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2004 chevy trailblazer has a gas smell in the interior. I…

My 2004 chevy trailblazer...

My 2004 chevy trailblazer has a gas smell in the interior. I have had it checked by my mechanic and they couldnt find any leaks in the system or anything. I thought a first it was due to overfilling it, but that is not the case. It did have a recall on it about a year ago to have the gas tank recplaced, which I did.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes it starts the same as usual, it does seem to use more gas than I think it should, but I do use it alot.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, at this point, I think my brother in law and husband should try to, since the mechanics I have taken it too can't find a reason for the smell

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. thanks

3/25/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

A tiny leak produces a giant odor where gasoline is concerned. There are no fuel lines or anything that enter the passenger compartment, so basically speaking, the only way this odor can come in is through the HVAC system, as it draws in fresh air from the base of the windshield. There has to be a leak at the engine, at least in my opinion, for this to happen. Fuel injectors are probably the most likely cause, they're hard to see on this engine, but I would do what I had to do to access and inspect these injectors, you'll probably find that one of them is just leaking slightly, enough to make an odor that gets sucked into the passenger compartment by the HVAC system. It really just has to be in this area.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
THanjk you we will investigate this HVAC in my car.