Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Drivers side door will not open, I have tried keyless, and…

Customer Question
Drivers side door will...

Drivers side door will not open, I have tried keyless, and key. The door will not open from the inside either. I tried to take the door panel off, but since this model has a screw at the bottom of the panel, that won’t work. Do you have any advice?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

No, but the key fob is about a month old, bought two replacements and programmed them on the same day.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

04, suburban LT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I disconnected the battery ( thought it would reset if electrical), tried working the handles manually, and numerous attempts with the fob.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/25/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

You will have to get this door panel off, unfortunately. I've been down this road, and you have to take the risk of damage to the door panel, because there is no way to get this open with the door panel in place. You'll have to get rough with it, and hope you don't break it beyond repair, but obviously the panel was not meant to be removed with the door closed.

Once the panel is off, you'll be able to look inside with a flashlight, and hopefully manipulate the latch with a screwdriver or other appropriate tool until it opens. There's not a workaround on this, you simply have to get that panel off by any means necessary.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Thanks Jerry,
I got the panel off, not too much damage. I am stuck now, the actual locking device that secures the door to the truck won’t go up or allow me to close the door securely,please see attached photo.

I can't quite make it out in this photo, it's stuck in the closed, or latched, position?

closed in the latched position.

Understood.

I would just replace this latch, you were fortunate enough to get it open one time. I wouldn't risk having it stuck again, I'd just plan to get a new one tomorrow and install it, and be done with this trouble.

How did you make out on this today?