Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 07 Duramax was sticking in 3rd gear as it tried to shift…

My 07 Duramax was...

My 07 Duramax was sticking in 3rd gear as it tried to shift to 4th, just a loud bang and stuck in 3rd. Stopped and turned key off, then re-started and worked fine. Transwest GMC fixed frayed wire harness and worked fine for four months, then same issue. What can we look for?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Issue occured while driving in Drive

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

Chevy 2007 Silverado Classic 3500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm taking it in to Dealer, wanted more brain power to shed light on possible avenues of action, please

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Last issue happened under heavy load and tranny temp gauge increased to 250 degrees, other times very moderate load

3/25/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Does this issue only occur when towing and when the trans temp is hot?

actually

How much weight are you towing when this occurs?

What is the terrain like, flat, big long hills, city traffic?

Do you know what trans temp you have to get past for an issue to arise?

The last issue occurred when towing 20k lbs on hilly road in country with trans temperature approaching 200, then temp climbed to 250

This is going to be hard to tell if he concern is the heat or if there is an actual transmission issue. When the trans gets too hot the computer will change the way it operates like not allowing high gears to work and the converter clutch locking in more often than needed. The heaviest trailer I have is my dump trailer, it full of rock and doing 65 on the interstate up and over hills. In the winter I stay around 150 degrees. in the summer about 190 using my diesel 3500. When you pass 220 you are to hot and the fluid is degrading which is not good on the clutches and seals.

My suggestion would be to look into a large transmission cooler or even an auxiliary fan for the times when you tow this amount and the hills will be encountered. I would hate to say go into the transmission just yet, it may be hard to find what is to blame and fix.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician