Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1996 Chevrolet K1500 4X4 that I just put a new

battery and stereo with a...
I have a 1996 Chevrolet K1500 4X4 that I just put a new battery and stereo with a antenna signal booster tied into the stereo power in. It sat over the winter, but I put everything together this past week and with the stereo on, it would not start. With stereo off, it took awhile, but eventually started...so, I tried to turn the stereo on and when I did it died. I shut the stereo off, started the truck, let it run for 3-5 minutes, turned the stereo on, it died. I shut stereo off, started truck, and then I tried turning on emergency blinkers, truck died...turn them off, truck started again.I have a OBD2 and plugged it in because the "Service Engine Light" was on, got a P1351 code relating to the ignition having an issue. That was all.I thought about going back and starting with the stereo antenna booster, then stereo itself disconnecting them to see if that was the cause.
3/25/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is a system automated prompt , not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you checked your voltage at battery yet when running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, but battery is new.

ok check voltage at battery when truck is running and let me know what you get

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s not registering anything on my multi meter but the wires are getting hot. That is DC right?

you want dc20 on the meter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s what I thought and that’s what I had... but it wasn’t registering anything, but the wires were getting hot.I tried a different multimeter and got 12 v

ok so you have a alternator issue, to double check verify at the alternator that its still 12v is so the alternator need replacement

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
12 v while running?

if you get 12v while running the alternator is bad

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I put the positive tester on the alternator and the negative on the negative terminal while running I get 12V

just as I suspected you have a bad alternator

get that replaced and you will be good to go

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay then, that’s my project for tomorrow. I found a “re-manufactured” sticker on this one as I was testing it. If that doesn’t work I’ll be in touch. Thanks and have a good evening!

your very welcome

Thanks for the great rating! Hope you have a wonderful day and feel free to add me to your favorites list for assistance in the future.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician