Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Back with that 89 chev c/2500 with fuel and runability

Hey Jerry, back with that...
Hey Jerry, back with that 89 chev c/2500 with fuel and runability issues.. I can verify that I have power at the relay now. 5 wires all together, the orange is always hot..... then with key on the same orange wire is hot and 3 of the other ones go to ground
Oh , and the motor started with the f/p relay unplugged completely.
3/25/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Yes, the engine should start without a fuel pump relay. The oil pressure switch closes and supplies power to the fuel pump in case of relay failure, your symptom would be extended crank time as the pump won't run until oil pressure builds up.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is power at the relay, what next ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is power at the relay, whats next ??

The relay closes when you turn the key on, do you feel it click ON for two seconds, then shut off?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I feel nothing . There is the sound of a pump coming from near the area of the ECM. You here it run for about 8-10 seconds after turning off the key

I think you are hearing the HVAC actuator moving under the dash. So the pump doesn't come on with the key turned on at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see gas squirt from the injector heads and fuel pressure jumps to 10 and drops back off. Keep in mind too Jerry, that if you start this truck about 25 times without touching the throttle it will eventually start and run, ALSO, if you start it and use the throttle(revving it ) it will start and run after 10 starts....And I agree on the HVAC sound.

And if you disconnect the relay, it acts differently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Negative. Still get 10 psi for a couple seconds then drops off. BTW, the oil pressure switch has been replaced already in the effort to address this issue

OK, so what you need to determine is whether the ECM is turning this pump on and keeping it on. By my schematic, you should have a green/white wire at one pin of the relay, yes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
green/white stripe

That wire should get power for two seconds when you turn the key on. And it should get power as soon as you start cranking the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does

OK, so the ECM is doing what it's supposed to do. So you go to start it, you get fuel pressure for a couple of seconds, then the pressure gauge drops to zero and the engine dies?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's the deal, yup.

Is the gray wire at that relay connector staying hot while this is happening? Or is the gray wire going dead?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what does the "other" relay do ? the one next to the f/p relay with the same # The gray wire remains at ground

The other relay is supposedly a downshift relay, if you have a TH400 trans in this truck... and you probably do.

The gray wire is supposed to supply power to the fuel pump, that wire should be hot, no?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There isNO gray wire

What wire colors do you have at the fuel pump relay.

My old schematics are not always reliable, but if you tell me what you have, maybe I can piece it together.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
orange, red/w white pink w/ black green w white black w/ white ORANGE is the hot

OK, I looked at a schematic from a different source, and it matches what you have there. Pink/black is the wire that goes to the pump, does that stay hot when the engine is running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it gets hot on crank and ignition,

Does it stay hot as the engine dies?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the engine is NOT running and it won't start

OK. So that relay must be closing, if that circuit is hot with key on or cranking.

Are you getting power to the fuel pump? Pink/black should be the wire color at the pump connector.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know, the pump is in the tank. My guess would be " NO " since the truck won't start.

If you have power at the relay (you said you have power there) but NO POWER at the pump, then you'd be looking for a wiring issue between this relay and the pump. This circuit also goes to the oil pressure switch. I misspoke earlier, the wire turns to tan/black as it goes to the pump. I am going to attach the schematic here so you can sort this out. I'd have to verify whether there's actually power at the pump when this truck stalls, to determine whether it's a pump issue or a circuit issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is NO help.... I have schematics and manuals. I have done all of these things you're suggesting a long time ago. I will look elsewhere for help from this point on. Thanks for trying
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician