Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a chevy 2500 hd 4wd, I want to check the front right…

Customer Question
I have a chevy...

I have a chevy 2500 hd 4wd, I want to check the front right wheel bearing and adjust. I started hearing a thumping sound and noticed there is more movement sideways and vertically then I believe should be.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The noise just started this morning, I had to make a tight slow turn on gravel, shortly after that I noticed it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 2500?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I an looking into it my self, I have worked on my old 1980 chevy many times in the past. I am not sure how to remove the dust seal in the center of the axial. It is ~4 inches in dia and seems pretty healthy so I do not want to destroy it getting it off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At the present time that is my question.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Chevy
3/24/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 26 days ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, this does not have adjustment for the bearing. It is a sealed hub bearing assembly. If there is play in the hub, then you replace the hub bearing assembly. See attached

As to removing the axle shaft nut retaining cover(dust cover), I use a flathead screwdriver to tap between the cover and the hub and pry off.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Please note that your expert pays for requested directions out of pocket for your benefit. Failure to give a positive rating means that the expert will no longer be able to provide this service at substantial savings to you

Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 25 days ago

Unless you have a further question on this, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager