Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

This is an old customer who you helped with the installation…

Hi Jerry, this is an...
Hi Jerry, this is an old customer who you helped with the installation of electrical hydraulic motor for a dump truck. I am going to leave the oak broads I added to raise the bed. I will sand them down so the bed sits flush in the entire length of the broad instead just on the high point with a gap at the end. NEW ISSUE, truck at idle gets hot! Temp went up to 215 a couple of times. First time the temp just went down on its own. Second time I reved the engine for 30 to 60 seconds and temp went down to about 180 which is the temp of the thermostat. I was testing my dump bed several times while reving the motor and temp went down to about 155. New water pump, radiator, fan clutch. What could it be? I think it’s some sort of electrical issue. Gas mileage is around 5 mpg instead of 8 to 10. Don’t knew if related or not. Thanks,Tom
3/25/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Temp when down to 155 when you revved it? It shouldn't go below the set point of the thermostat. Is the thermostat stuck open?

It did go down below the temp of the thermostat. Would an open thermostat cause the truck to run hot?

Yes, it would. I would get in there and look at/replace that thermostat again.

I guess if it could get stuck open it could get stuck closed. Regarding the dump I’m going to keep the wood plates raising the bed. Seems like the fluid no longer overflowing and still extends fully. Can a bad oil sending unit cause the truck to run hot? How about a bad water temp sending unit causing the truck to run hot?

A bad oil sending unit will not cause the truck to run hot. A bad water temp sending unit will also not cause the truck to run hot, but keep in mind that the temperature you see on the dash is coming from the water temp sender. If you think it's bad, you should just replace it (they're cheap enough).

You should put a 195F thermostat in this, that's what the factory specifies. We want this engine running at 210-220F, a 195 thermostat will put it right there.

Ok. I will put in a 195 thermostat and replace the water temperature sending unit. For decades it ran at 195 to 200 all day long. Not sure what happened and that is why I replaced radiator, hoses, fan clutch, overflow tank. I drive it very little, 18k miles in 25 years, about 750 miles a year. It was running so hot that is why I figured it was blowing the efi(emc) fuses.

Ah, I see.

Yeah, put a new thermostat in it, I believe that will solve the overheating issue.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

I will buy a new thermostat and see what happens. Could some sort of an electrical short cause it to run hot?

Nope, the cooling system is all mechanical. You've done all of the right things: radiator, fan clutch, thermostat. The thermostat just isn't right.

I better make sure I put the thermostat with the proper side up!

lol yes, you should!

Could a leaky overflow tank cause it to run hot? I’ve replaced the tank twice and it still leaks. It appears to be at the connection so I am going to put two hose clamps to see if that works. I could see tiny bubbles at the end of the hose. Kind of like you see when you are trying to find a natural gas leak in a house gas line and you use liquid soap and water

It won't cause it to overheat directly, but it will eventually cause the cooling system to run low on coolant, because it pushes it out when it gets hot, and it's supposed to draw it back in when it cools. If the hose connection sucks air instead of coolant, over time, you'll run low on coolant, enough that it could overheat on you.

What do you think of adding Mavels mystery oil or other any other additives to the oil to help quite (it’s not very loud but just kind of smooth out the sound) the motor. I don’t mind spending the money if it helps. I am going to use Mobil one or another synthetic motor oil because it is better

I use Mobil 1 in my own cars and trucks, simply because my car is the last one to get worked on, and I might go 10k miles between oil changes since the shop is always tied up and I don't have time to work on my own stuff.

I don't generally recommend oil additives, Marvel is good stuff to use for winterizing and things like that, but typically I don't add anything to oil. Just use good oil, that's all your engine needs.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Jerry, does my thermostat require a “Jeep” hole? A hole in the flange to avoid an air lock?

No, some vehicles have them and some don't. SBC usually does not.

SBC? What about that little hose that connects to the way pump and looks like a ? Mark . It cost $65. I’m using a heater hose and it has a kink because the distance is too short. Could that be the problem causing it to run hot?

SBC = small block chevy. Sorry about the shorthand.

Replace that hose, yes, you need to get the right hose on that.

$65 seems like a bit much for a bent hose, though.

I have a big block. 1987 Chevy R30 with a 454 with fuel injection. Do big blocks require the hole in the flange?

No, not by my recollection.