Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1993 chev p/u with a 305. total timing at 2500 rpm is only…

1993 chev p/u with...

1993 chev p/u with a 305 . total timing at 2500 rpm is only 8*. at idle with the base timing wire unplugged is 0* set to mfg specs. shouldn't the total be more like 28*

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any change in your gas mileage lately?

There is 100693 kms on vehicle , yes fuel milage isn't great

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '93 Chevy?

Silverado

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have just rebuilt the truck and everything is new, motor has had head gaskets replaced , other than that just wires,plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just wondering if the total timing should be more, and what changes the total timing on that vehicle.

3/24/2018
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

you have an electronic spark control module that controls the timing. it looks at input from the knock sensor and will send a retard signal to the distributor through the ecm. it will only retard the timing, not advance it.

there should be a set of weights in the distributor that work on a centrifical control that advance the timing. if the springs are broken they will not work.

Roy

Ok Roy, thanks, ***** ***** check that in the morning and get back to you. what should the total advance be? When I checked the timing it was at 0*, as required, with the base timing wire disconnected. but when I reconnected the wire it was still at 0*, shouldn't the timing be slightly advanced when that wire is connected?

when you reconnect the wire, you need to turn it off and re start to read the timing again. it will not advance right away when reconnecting.

the total advance should be around 25-30 degrees.

Roy

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

thank you