Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2010 Silverado LT transmission has a humming sound when…

Customer Question
My 2010 Silverado LT...

My 2010 Silverado LT transmission has a humming sound when speeding up

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you heard this particular sound before?

It has been like this for a few months

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, what could it be

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Chevy
3/24/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 26 days ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd begin by taking a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

if thats OK then I'd next check the oil level and condition in the rear differential / axle

as it tends to get forgotten about

then check for the propshaft either has a worn joint or the centre bearing is worn or its out of balance

you can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none

the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit

and then look along the propshaft for any signs of a missing balance weight as these take the form of little 3/4" squares that are welded onto the shaft - as they are only tacked on they can sometimes come loose and be lost resulting in the shaft being out of balance - if a joint is worn this can also shake them loose

so if a joint is replaced its good practice to have the shaft re-balanced afterwards

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician