Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 chevy s10 2.2L that occasionally don't do

I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 chevy s10 2.2L that occasionally don't do anything when I turn the key. The indicator lights all come on and everything seems normal till I turn it to start, then nothing. When I release the key back to the on position it will all seem normal again with the exception of it not being running. After trying a few, sometimes many times, it'll eventually start.....

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes the steering wheel will turn, and no key not damaged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm hoping to fix it myself, so far I've checked battery cables and terminals and connection at starter. Both appear to be fine

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Does outside temp or engine temp have any bearing on it?

Auto or manual transmission?

Do you own a test light or volt meter?

No, outside temp doesn't seem to be a factor. Engine temp doesn't either cause it does it sometimes when the vehicle has been sitting for hours and when I've just driven it. Sometimes it will start right up though and sometimes it wont. It doesn't happen everytime, but seems to be happening more often now then it did a few days ago when it first started doing it. Yes I have a bolt meter and test light.
it's auto transmission.

Do the tests outlined in this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d9dy4q6g0fv4ag/s10start.png?dl=0 when it will not start with the key. This is the only time the tests will provide accurate results in finding what is to blame.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

I haven't been able to open the link. For some reason when I try downloading dropbox, it gets to 100% then days not able to download..... Still trying though. I'll let you know as soon as I am able to do the tests.
Also, not quite sure how to do the rating on here. If you could let me know how to do that I can give you a 5 star rating. I'm not that smart when it comes to computers. Lol

The rating: On your screen, you should see a 1-5 star selection that you click on then hit submit.

Are you following the directions I sent in my first reply to dropbox files?

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician