Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just bought a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 V8. It…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 V8. It has 29,000 miles on it. The dealer changed the oil just before I took delivery .When the engine is cold and I check the oil the level on the dip stick is 1.5 inches above the full line. When the engine is hot and I check the oil it is right on the full line. Is this normal ? Could the dealer have put too thick an oil it thus not allowing it to drain down ? Could this be an indication of a more serious problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No. The oil pressure is indicating normal ranges while the engine runs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried nothing. I will bring it back to the dealer if your GM master mechanic tells me there is a potential problem.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/24/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Ok what happens next ?

They added too much oil, oil level should be checked after vehicle has been off for at least 2 hours as described in manual. If it is checked right away there is still oil on top half of engine as you said which hasn't reached the oil pan yet. So this isn't a sign of any problem other then person who added oil put too much in because they didn't check oil level correctly. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

I can call if you would like but it would cost you extra and I feel question has already been answered in text. Please let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Why is the oil level normal ( right on the top of the full line )when the engine is warm and so much higher when it is cold ?

When engine is warm there is still oil in upper half of engine that hasn't made it down to oil pan yet. After vehicle sits all the oil goes from engine to oil pan and then gives correct reading. Manual states "page 360" oil should be checked after vehicle sits for 2 hours so as of right now there is too much oil in engine. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

My 2014 Silverado with the V6 always read the same oil level hot or cold. Is this V8 in the new 2017 truck different in terms of reading the oil level ?

Yes most older vehicles are able to drain the oil a little quicker but this one seems to take longer, I'm not sure what was changed but it is definitely normal and overfilled right now. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

thank you.

No problem, I'm happy to help. Thanks again and have a good night.