Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 chevy c5500 changed the brake booster and the warning…

Customer Question
2006 chevy c5500 changed the...
2006 chevy c5500 changed the brake booster and the warning light is on on the dash. when i first started it the light was on so i disconnected the pressure switch and it went out but once i stepped on the brakes the light cam on and wont go out. the brakes work fine
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/23/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

You're talking about the red brake light on the dash?

there is 2 of them one on the main dash panel and one in the center panel and they are both on

If they are both on, then there is a trouble code stored in the antilock brake system computer. Do you have a scan tool that will retrieve ABS codes?

no i dont
i disconnected the battery but that didnt help

OK. Disconnecting the battery won't clear the codes if the failure is still present. The ABS system doesn't like something, generally it's electrical in nature. Is the pressure switch reconnected?

i reinstalled the old booster that i changed because it was leaking but the brake light stayed on so i put the new booster back in

Is the master cylinder filled? There is a fluid level sensor in the master cylinder. Disconnect it, see if the lights change, jumper the two wires on the connector, see if the lights change. Cycle the key between each test, because once the ABS detects a fault, it latches that fault for the entire key cycle, so the light will stay on even if you correct the condition during the same key cycle.

no change in the light during any of the tests
i did notice that even though the engine is running with the pressure switch connected when you step on the brakes the brake motor runs and when you disconnect the pressure switch the motor doesnt run but the brakes work good no matter what

I have schematics on this, I'd like to give them to you. Without a scan tool, we don't know exactly what the ABS computer is complaining about, but with the schematics, you can test for power and ground at all of the switches and things relative to the brake warning system side of the brakes, and you might be able to pin it down that way.

If you can't pin it down that way, you'll need to find someone with a Tech 2 or other scan tool that can retrieve the ABS codes so you can at least get a direction on this.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

i am going to keep this question open for a little while longer while i check with the schematics

Sure, not a problem. Let me know if I can get you anything else.