Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Its a ford. 1993 f250. And nothing yet i just bought the…

Customer Question
1993 f250 Mechanic's Assistant:...

1993 f250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing yet i just bought the truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It make s a steady knocking sound when i engage it into 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The front end and i just noticed it today when i used the 4x4 idk how long this been going on just bought it

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Chevy
3/23/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 27 days ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Is it knocking when the vehicle is moving? When turning? When sitting still? Tell me more about the knocking.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When im movong after i engage the 4x4
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It doesnt matter if its in 4 high or low rang and the hubs are engaged manually on the front tire hub

And the knocking is consistent with vehicle speed, if you go faster, the knocking is faster?

I'd be looking at the front drive shaft U joints, can you crawl under there and check that out? With the hubs unlocked and the shifter in 2HI, you should be able to spin it by hand. Give it a good shake, see if it has any loose joints.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I goes by the speed of the vehical and it stop when im just in*****
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I would go out there and check butt were having a winter storm right now in north dakota i got stuck in the snow thats how i found out about this problem

This is going to be a front driveshaft U joint or possibly a front axle joint, even with the hubs unlocked, the front axle joints can make a heck of a racket when they're loose. That's what I'd be looking for on this. I understand you are snowed in, but when you get back to working on it and if you have questions for me, you can respond here and I can help you figure this out once you're able to actually put your eyes and hands on it.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When the hubs are unlocked it doesnt make t he sound at all

There is no load on the drivetrain when the hubs are unlocked, so that makes sense. If you crawl under there like I mentioned before and just spin that driveline back and forth by hand, you can see the U joints on the shaft and on the axle ends moving, and you'll be able to see if any of them have a joint that came apart.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When i go to unlock the hubs and roll back and forth to make sure its disengaged...its fine and you dont here anymore knocking
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How much is it to have replaced or if i did it myself how long would it take and what would happened if i did nithijng about it?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Nothing
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician