Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Re my daughters 2012 Chevy Cruze. 1.4L, DOHC Turbo. The car…

Re my daughters 2012...

Re my daughters 2012 Chevy Cruze. 1.4L, DOHC Turbo. The car had a history of oil leaks over the past year and a bit. Even after the repairs were completed the engine was low on oil before it was scheduled for a change. She had the oil changed at the dealership around Feb5/18. Two weeks later she drove about 3 1/2 hr drive from home for visit as she had a week off work. She sent the car back with a friend who had travelled wth her as she wanted to stay for a bit longer and catch a ride home with another friend a couple days later. She checked hr oil before her friend departed. It was down on the dipstick but not at the add mark. So her friend hit the road. About 2 /2 hrs out and it is dark out now then the stability traction light came on the car felt like it had no power. Shortly after the oil pressure low shut off engine warning came on Up to the point the car would not drive faster than 30/mph. She pulled over and shut the car off. Called a tow truck and had I towed home from about an hour from home. I had it towed to a friend’s garage. He checked the nex day and called to say the Turbo is shot and that he feels the engine is likely damaged as well When he started it it smoked out the garage He addd 3.0 L oil. D it didn’t register on the dipstick. He asked about the warranty and I told him him that it had expired in Sept 2017. He felt that I should contact GM Canada as they should have checked out the Turbo given the history of low oil level. That this is prob the reason that gaskets and seals have been going. Should have Ben caught while the power train had been under warranty. GM Canada told her to have I towed to the dealership. Because of brutal communication between the dealership and GM Canada 3 weeks later we find out that the Turbo and the motor have to be replaced. I questioned a service rep about my conch re the Turbo possibly being a cause of the oil escaping and he told me that it couldn’t have been as a. Check engine light would have come on. I relayed this to my mechanic friend and he said “BS,!” He said the Turbo could have been the reason oil was prob being pushed out the exhaust. I hV talked to a couple of finds who know a lot about vehicles an they agre with my mechanic friend. The dealership has offered a good will %25 discount off a new motor with Turbo. I appreciate this but if this Turbo failure theory is correct I feel they shoul do better given that this should have been caught while it was still under warranty before Sept 2017. I remember being so frustrated over the past year how the engine was always low on oil. I don’t expect something for nothing here but if they are responsible somehow I tank they should help out. I know nothing about engines. Just trying to help my daughter out here. There is 130,000 Kim’s on the car and she still has a year and a half of payments to go. I appreciate your advice Moose as you have helped me in the past and you were bang on. If the dealership is right then that is totally fine. I just want to keep them honest. Thank you, *****: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent I think

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cruze yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. It’s at the dealership presently. I would consider finding a used engine and turbo and taking it back to my friends garge

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He will prob have questions

3/23/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Can I see your Vin please? I want to look up history on your vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Cam, thanks. Absolutely. VIN: 1G1PG5SC3C7110768I might be out of touch for the next half hour f u have any questions.

Ok so I do see the warranty has expired. So on to the issue.

I don't see in the warranty history that the dealer was having troubles finding an oil leak, I see a couple of other repairs for leaks. So the big question for this is; did you have them look for leaks, have a work order showing they could not find leaks and sent you on the way? If so then you will have something you can take to GM customer service. That is done by calling not the dealer but GM canada.

As for warranty, the dealers hands are tied as your warranty did expired by time and there is nothing they can do at the dealership level. They CAN offer various options for helping cover the issue if they are told to from above. So I guess the bot***** *****ne is this, if they looked and could not find it, then it will likely be covered if you talk to GM.

If you never had it looked at or don't have proof that it was, then their hands are tied.

IF you have no records showing it then I would still make the call and ask for good will warranty. This could be any ratio of GM/delaer or you pay. If they still offer nothing then I would have your friend do a used engine. Dealers like to keep customers so they are often willing to work with you and GM.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Cam. It wasnt that they were having trouble finding a leak. Ill give u a bit of bkgd info here to better explain how this went. My daughter is a first yr teacher. She has a 0.6 contract but being a new teacher works full days plus. She also coaches and has a part time job. She has never been comfortable having her car services at this particular dealership as she felt she wasnt treated very well. My wife has echoed this feeling from her own experiences. So given her busy lif and and the disrespectful
Service reps she would sometimes go to Great Canadian Oil Change to have her oil change. They were ones who would see the leak and urge her to go back to the dealership for the oil change The dealership repaired it. I lost faith in the dealership on her last oil leak repair as GCOC told her they suspected that the front seal was leaking and Wheaton said it wasnt They had repaired another leak. When warranty was over GCOC told her again that they suspect the front seal is leaking. This time they replaced the seal on her tab. All good. Oil level was below the add oil mark when she had it changed Feb 5/18 Now apparently there are no leaks at this point. As I mentioned earlier after two weeks of driving back and forth to work and driving 3 1-2 hrs out of the city the oil level was down but not to the add mark This is when the Turbo died on the way home So I guess what I want to know is could the Turbo be the reason there was oil loss and can the Turbo if there is an apparent issue with it cause back pressure to cause gaskets and seals to fail?

Given the amount of oil you mentioned it was loosing, and knowing that these are not problematic for big oil loss issues, I feel the the turbo was the root cause. If the seals in the turbo were on the way out, it would push oil into the exhaust and it would be burnt in the catalytic converter.

Back pressure in the exhaust would cause other issues, not usually seal failures. The turbo is pressure fed oil by the engine to ensure proper operation. It spins at 120,000 RPM so it needs oil and coolant. It would not take much if that seal was failing to consume a bunch of oil and with the emission systems, it might not show much smoke.

I understand your frustration and the fact this started before your warranty was up. that is why I suggested that paperwork showing that you were concerned and had it checked out would go a long way to compelling GM Canada to help out more with the costs. AS a tech, we urge customers to not wait to have things checked out. I can think of a few times where a major system such as an transmission failed. Customer had it checked out, we could not duplicate or find the issue. Sure enough it failed after powertrain warranty expired. I think in the end the customer paid nothing or a small deductible.

One more thing to keep in mind, the service writers are often clueless when it comes to vehicles. They are supposed to ask you the questions then tell you what the tech says. Asking the writer about the issue I can only imagine would have been frustrating. Heck I don't even like talking to our writers.

SO your friends are correct. But it may not have set a check engine light. The computer is meant to compensate for some extra fuel (burning oil) and as long as its not outside of a predetermined amount, it would not set a check engine light.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I guess I dont really have any paper work per se just the frustration of constantly low oil levels and leaks. Is it worth talking to GM Canada re What I discussed with u today? We just have receipts for service and they would have access to the same information. Is that enough?

I cannot say if the little info is enough, but I urge you to call them anyway and explain your issue. It may bring to light the issues with that dealer towards customers and the worst they will say is no.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you so much for the advice Cam.

MY pleasure. Sorry its not better news, and enjoy the weather. WE got a taste of that snow in central alberta last night. Love the 4' drifts.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. Again if you need further information, please use the Reply/Continue Conversation link to ask for more help and I would be happy to assist you further. You do not need to give a negative rating or relist the question to get more help :)

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I sure will We are getting hammered with snow and high winds in Southern Sask right now.

Stay safe and warm. 2nd winter is almost done then we can get onto the snow in may!!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ha ha. Sounds like u grew up on the prairie as well

Southern alberta with 3 channels and 2 seasons.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ha ha. Same only we had one channel. And once or twice a month two.

LOL. Have a great day. Please be sure to provide a rating for my service.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I sure will You’re the best!

Thanks. And if you have any GM related questions, Please be sure to ask for me by name. GMTECHCAM.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I sure will. Thank u
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician