Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Replacing fuel pump on 2005 duramax does it have 2 main tank…

Replacing fuel pump on...

Replacing fuel pump on 2005 duramax does it have 2 main tank and waht looks like one on the auxilery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

This is original

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2005 silverado duramax 1 ton stake bed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Keeps blowin fuses changing bed need to repklace while off

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hello, my name is***** to just Answer! I will be assisting you with your vehicle questions today. Give me a few minutes to review your question and i will be back with you shortly

The fuel pump which is the injection pump is on the engine. There are no fuel pumps in the tanks only sending units for the gauge. On a duel tank truck, there is a small fuel pump bolted to the left frame rail. Review the attached document and the Highlighted areas

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue. Please take a moment and click on the stars and consider leaving a 5 Star rating and i will be available for follow up questions you may have as rating 5 Star will not close out your question

Blowing the PCM fuse truck would no turn over I pulled the fuel pump relay put in new fuse did not blow which reinstalled the relay truck starts, keeps blowing PCM fuses must be fuel pump,
Has auxiliary tank the transfer pump has been by-pass with a switch on the dash, the mechanic said it was the computer that was not working the auto fill cheaper to by-pass. I DO NOT Believe he is accurate.

Give me a little time to see what that fuse powers and i will get back to you

There are several things that are powered off of that fuse. I would remove whatever he has to bypass that transfer pump and put it back to original. I would also check for chafed wiring around the bracket that the fuel injection control module bolts to. Module is on the top front of the engine. Passenger side....It doubt that the computer is the issue. Fuses blow from a chafed wire or high amp draw

Todd
I got this info off your site"these trucks had two problems, one there is a software update for the control module for improved dual tank operation. the other problem they had is the rear sender float gets stuck, causing the wrong fuel level to be reported to the engine control module. there is a updated rear tank fuel level sensor for this truck"Do i need to take it to a dealer for software update?

Yes you would have to do that and i would replace both sending units in both tanks while you have the bed off

Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician
thanx

You're Welcome