Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The passlock system is preventing my Tahoe from starting.

Hi! The passlock system...

Hi! The passlock system is preventing my Tahoe from starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery is charged

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Tahoe?

2013 no lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ourselves.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No security light either

Hi, we got it figured out at least for now. We disconnected and reconnected the battery. Any other recommendations?
3/22/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

If it happens again, make sure both vehicle and fob batteries are good - either battery being weak can cause this. If they are, do the following relearn procedure

30 minute GM relearn procedure:

1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Thank you! Can you email these instructions to me?
I'll rate you excellent ;)

HI,

The site xxx's out email addresses so experts dont have off site conversation with customers.

An email is sent with a link to this question and answer so you can come back to it and download.

I can notify customer service and they can email it to you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager