Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The curved black plastic piece that comes from where the…

Customer Question
Hi. The curved black plastic...
Hi. The curved black plastic piece that comes from where the fresh air comes into the airbox that has the filter in it is detached. I pulled the battery out and tried squeezing it back in place, but it won't work without cracking it. Any idea on how to get this piece back in? Any idea what may have caused it to come undone? Photo attached.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of everyday. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

The best option is to remove the bolts holding the air filter down and lift the box up to allow you to align it into the hole.

Do you mean the bolts that would be removed to remove the air filter or the bolts holding down the entire box housing the air filter? Could you provide a diagram? or tell me where the bolts are? Do I need to get under the car at all? Do you know what would cause this?
remove the nut that is right next to the part that that is misaligned and the other bolt holding the housing, correct? Do I need to remove the clamps on the hose that connect to the throttle body and such? Also, what exactly should I be pouring hot water on-- The part that I need to put back in?

yes remove the clamps, pour the water on the end of the plastic par that needs to go back inside. IT needs to flex and this will make it flex easier.

In addition to the above, my car is quite rusty and deformed at the pinch welds at the front of the car. Is there somewhere else you would jack this car up and somewhere else you would put jack stands to lift the front of the car so I can do some work under the front?
those two bolts that hold the air filter box to the car are safe to remove, and it is safe to move that box around without possibly disconnecting anything else in the process, right? Just making sure. Also, it looks like there is a rubber bushing under the nut next to the part I need to put back in. Do I need to remove or loosen that bushing?
Also, I need the deep sockets to remove these nuts right? Or can I use a normal adjustable wrench?

You can jack the car up using the subframe under the front.
Yes deep sockets as I don't know if an adjustable wrench will work.

Is the subframe rails going from the front to the rear of the car that are a bit deeper in than the pinch welds? If so, can I jack up AND support with Jack stands on that surface?

No, the subframe is the frame the engine and transmission re bolted to.

Is it an aluminum bar that goes from passenger side to driver side?
Do you have a diagram of it by chance so I don't make a mistake?
Also, would it make sense to jack the car in the air and put one ramp at a time under the front tires instead of using Jack stands? The car is not operational, so I can't drove it onto the stands.

There does not seem to be a good picture that I can find. But you will know it. This is the frame the lower control arms attach to.
Yes you can lift on that inner channel under the body you mentioned earlier. Use a block of wood to help spread the weight .

When you say inner channel, do you mean the metal that runs parallel to the pinch welds that runs from front to back of the car?

yes.