Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1996 Suburban 1500 2-wheel drive. Won't restart…

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, My name...

Hello Pearl, My name is***** have a 1996 Suburban***** Won't restart promptly (following gasoline fill-up as example) ... I suspect something ... possibly starter relay ... heats up while operating vehicle and must cool off before I can get the starter to turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Only about 240K miles. Starts normally in morning and anytime it has sat for 20-30 minutes or longer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Looking to attempt troubleshoot this weekend. I've only had my patience tried

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have power to guage cluster, blower, lights, horn

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/22/2018
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 4 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Are you saying that it does not crank over at times? No starter activity?

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

HiCustomer
When I shut down the engine for less than 20 minutes and try to restart there is not even a click (starter solenoid); after engine has cooled for about 20 minutes the truck starts as normal. I'd like your expertise to guide me in doing the diagnosis. With the information I provided so far it seems to be pointing at start with verifying the starter relay (located in engine compartment) is good/bad. If relay checks out good, what would next diagnostic step(s) be?
I will not be tinkering with the truck until Saturday morning.

Hello and thank you for that information. Sorry for the delay! I can certainly help with this.

If the starter relay is not clicking with the key in the crank position when this happens, then we check the inputs to the relay. It needs to have two powers and one ground going into it in order to work or activate. The most likely cause of the starter relay not getting the power suply to activate would be because of a faulty ignition switch or a faulty park neutral position switch. But of course, be sure to check the other power supply and the ground going into the relay when this happens just to be sure.

But if the relay is clicking when this happens, this issue could be a faulty starter. You would then check for power down at the starter when this no crank condition happens (and with the key in the crank position)

I have attached a wiring diagram for you below.

OK, thanks ... the 20 minute wait is what really puzzles me, so bad relay is still leading contender; followed by connections, compromised wiring. Unlikely ignition switch or neutral position switch effected by heat as they are in the cool cabin with me.I'll let you know when I get under the hood on what I find. (Oh joy, trouble shooting in hot engine compartment!)

YES sir, I hear you and I understand completely. I know how it is.

That sounds good. I will be looking forward to your reply.

Customer/p>
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 3 months ago

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>