Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My husbands 2000 Tahoe has been in the shop for almost 2…

My husbands 2000 Tahoe...

My husbands 2000 Tahoe has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks. He started having a loud popping noise that sounded like it was coming from the left front end. He took it to Tire engineers thinking it might be a CV joint. It's a***** They couldn't find anything wrong and said he might need to take it to a transmission place. So he did and it has been there almost 2 weeks. Still no diagnoses. Also his Fourwheel drive light has come on even though it will go into*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

He said it just started and he thought it could be something in the*****but some others online have suggested a problem with the Tahoe's drive shaft I think?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. It's at the mechanic but they don't seem to be trying anything so he thought he would go get it and try something himself. It still drives but just makes the loud popping noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of. Thanks.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

When exactly does it make this loud popping noise? Is it the sort of thing that he could replicate while someone outside of the vehicle listens and identifies it? Or does he have to be driving it to make the noise?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Well he said it doesn’t usually make it when it first starts up. Usually has to deive it a little bit and then it will start the
Popping noise. He only
Drives 20 minutes to
Work so about half way
There it will
Start.

Is it a one time popping noise, or a repetitive noise, and if so, is the noise relative to engine speed, vehicle speed? Consistent with the approximate speed of the rotating tire, or much faster than that?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No continues popping and doesn’t seem to have anything to do with speed

If it was transmission or transfer case related, it would be consistent with vehicle speed, and the noise would stop entirely when the vehicle is at a stop. Does it pop when driving straight, going around corners, anything like that?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It does stop when vehicle stops. Don’t know if there is a difference when driving straight or going around corners

CV joint failure is very uncommon, unless the CV boot is torn and there is no lubricant left in the joint. You can easily see this if you look under the vehicle, it will be apparent if the boot is torn and grease has slung out everywhere. CV joints also make noise primarily when turning corners, almost never when going straight. I do not think it's a CV joint issue.

Does your Tahoe have a AUTO button on the 4WD switch, and do you use AUTO or is it in 2HI when this happens?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Its in 2HI

OK. The front driveline sort of coasts along when in 2HI, with no load on it, so it's probably not a driveline issue. The transfer case likewise has no load on it, transfer cases and transmissions don't make popping noises for the most part. Rear driveline could have a bad U joint. Front differential could have something wrong with it.

But you say it's not speed dependent, which really makes me think this is a suspension piece moving around or something like that. You really need a mechanic that will take an interest in this, road test with you, experience the noise, and figure out what it is when it's on the rack. Should be able to find this in under an hour, if you can replicate it.

My advice is to get it out of the transmission shop, since they aren't doing anything anyway, they're more likely to sell you a transmission you don't need and you'll still have the noise. Get it to a good independent repair shop and let the mechanic get a handle on it. It seems to me that your biggest road block is finding a good mechanic.

What part of the country do you live in? Perhaps I can refer you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hueytown, AL

I don't know these folks, but I want to refer you to them because they are AAA approved. I am also AAA approved, so I know how rigorous the standards are for that certification. I have confidence that these guys can help you out with this.

Auto And Truck Service

*****SouthBirmingham, AL 35233

(205)(###) ###-####/a>

Give them a call, explain the situation, and see if you can get one of their techs to jump in and take a ride with you to hear this noise. If you are a AAA member, you'll get a 10% discount there, as well.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician