Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I've got an 89 5.7 l throttle body injected Chevy Silverado…

I've got an 89...

I've got an 89 5.7 l throttle body injected Chevy Silverado Suburban, it purrs like a kitten at an idle and when it's not under load revs up just fine but as soon as I put it in gear and make it work it intermittently stutters and almost seems like it's missing. It has a hundred and seventy thousand miles and is a great truck, I love it. Any ideas or helpful places to look would be great, I've changed the coil, cap, rotor and fuel filter and checked a few of the plugs in there nice and tan.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The transmission was just rebuilt last May

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Silverado?

8o

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

89

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cap, rotor, fuel filter,coil and oil and filter

3/21/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Ignition timing is critical on these engines, you want to make sure you follow the directions and get the timing set right. MAP sensor hoses crack and the port that attaches to it gets plugged up, so you want to make sure you have a good vacuum supply to the MAP sensor.

If everything looks right, I would probably put a new distributor in this. Cracked or otherwise failed pickup coils are common.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up

Thanks, ***** ***** a shitty B&W MAP SENSOR AND TPS I put on thinking about trying to do some preventive maintenance

MAP sensor itself is probably good, same with TPS. No reason to suspect they're bad, and it was doing this before you replaced these things, or no?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Phone call session started
Ya a little and it been using oil since i got it.it always smoked a bit on start up but now seems to be a little worse
The EGR valve was removed when I got it, the check engine light always comes on about 20 minutes or so into a ride but it always ran fine. Come to think of it though this all started very slightly and growing until now since the transmission was rebuilt. That's why I replaced the TPS map sensor and the ignition module. But the one I got was bad so I put my old one back in and it ran fine. Again until all of this started.