Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Silverado I turn the ignition switch off, but the motor…

2001 Silverado hello.I turn...

2001 Silverado hello.I turn the ignition switch off, but the motor doesn't die. I replaced the ignition switch. Still have the same problem. also since this started the transmission stays in third gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes I can. new key

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. replaced ignition switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No maam

3/21/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

If you take the switch loose from the lock cylinder and move the switch with a screwdriver, etc. does it make any difference with this concern?

no sir.

Is there a remote start system, alarm, anything aftermarket like that wired into this truck that you know of?

there is not. this problem just started yesterday. I installed a kill switch inline on common side of fuel pump power circuit three years ago. this is the only way I am able to kill the motor.

Do the dash lights and things stay on after you shut the key off, too?

no. all instruments turn off

There are four power circuits to the PCM, two of them are hot at all times, two of them are only hot with key in RUN or START. I'd want to look at these circuits and see if the power is going away or staying there with key OFF.

These two circuits are fuses labeled ECM I and IGN 0. Can you test those with a test light when this is happening and see if you have power on either or both of those?

sir. I be right back

OK

ign o key off no power
could not locate ecm 1. only ecm b, it is hot with key off

ECM I is under the hood in the fuse block

only fuse listed with an ecm description is ecm b and it is under hood
I found it. no voltage. key off

Are you testing these with the engine still running after key off, replicating the concern? That's what I want to see, is there power here when the engine is running, when it should not be running?

one moment
ign o running,key off ,no voltage
ecm 1 running,key off,voltage

Ah, here is the problem then.

Stand by, let's see why that would be the case.

ok sir

Do the same test on ENG 1 fuse.

key off, engine running, voltage

This voltage is coming from one of three places: it's either coming from the ignition switch, or it's coming from the ECM (internally shorted across two circuits and keeping this energized) or there is an old remote start or alarm module wired into this truck, even if you don't know about it, keeping that circuit energized.

When the engine stalls, does this circuit finally go dead?

egn 1 motor off still voltage

Unplug the ECM connectors and see if it goes out.

where are they located

The ECM is located under a plastic cover at the left front of the engine compartment. The important connector here is the blue one, disconnect both of them if you want, makes no difference, but this circuit goes to the blue connector.

jerry, I located the problem. it was a relay installed for the electric fans.when you said alarm, I started looking at other aftermarket components and found a short between two wires. couldn't have done it without you Mr.3882

Excellent! That was a good one!

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician