Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am looking to wire some LED lights into the bed of my 2001…

Customer Question
Hi. I am looking to...
Hi. I am looking to wire some LED lights into the bed of my 2001 Silverado. I would like to wire these into the cargo light switch. Could you give me any idea of the best way to do that? I would really rather not disrupt or splice into anything that has to do with the BCM. These have very low power requirements. To make things even more difficult, I have a camper shell on my truck so getting to the cargo light itself is difficult. Otherwise I would likely just splice into those wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/21/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 5 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The cargo lamps are not controlled by the BCM, so that's the good news. Accessing the cargo lamp circuit is simply not an easy task, you'll have to tap into this under the dash (most conveniently) and run wiring through the body out to the bed.

The cargo lamp has power at all times (mostly) and is grounded by the cargo lamp switch when the switch is activated. You can access this circuit 1850 at the junction block under the dash, I am attaching a schematic so you can see how it works and where the circuit runs.

Thank you. I will take a look later and get back with you.

You're welcome!

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago

Did you get this figured out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.