Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1 8800 miles. P050d code cannot clear it…

Customer Question
2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1...

2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1 8800 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camaro yourself? What have you tried so far?

P050d code cannot clear it with my obd2 reader

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Please send me to a tech

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thx

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/21/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and ready to assist you.

I nknow the code P050d means rough idle. but why on a brand new vehicle with less than 10000 miles has me stumped . Also I cannot clear the code with an OBD2 reader

The reason you cannot erase this code is because it is a hard code that needs to be repaired first. I will send you a description what it means . Your vehicle should still be covered under warranty to fix this .

I would like to repair myself rather than take to the shop... I am somewhat familiar around an engine and electronics, not a master tech by any means but I can get it done. yes I know I would be paying for parts that could be covered under warrantee but I prefer if possible to fix myself

P050D; Cold Start Rough Idle

What is the severity of this DTC? A rough idle, or poor idle quality under cold start conditions, could be an indicator of a more serious problem. A code P050D should be addressed at your earliest convenience and considered severe.

What are some of the common causes of the code? Causes for this code may include: Vacuum or air intake leaks, Bad spark plugs, plug boots, or ignition coils Insufficient fuel pressure/volume Defective ECT sensor Shorted or open circuits or connectors

What are some P050D troubleshooting steps?Diagnose and repair any other engine drivability related codes before attempting to diagnose the P050D.You will need a source of reliable vehicle information, a diagnostic scanner, and a digital volt/ohmmeter (DVOM) to accurately diagnose a code P050D.Your vehicle information source can provide you with diagnostic flow charts, wiring diagrams, connector face views, connector pin-out charts, and component testing procedures and specifications that will help you to accurately diagnose a code P050D.Retrieve all stored codes and freeze frame data by connecting the scanner to the vehicle diagnostic port. Write this info down as it will be helpful as the diagnostic process goes forth. Next, clear the codes and allow the engine to completely cool down before you test-drive the vehicle.If the code is not reset and the PCM enters readiness mode, you may be dealing with an intermittent code. In some cases, the conditions which led to the code being stored may need to worsen before an accurate diagnosis can be made.If the code is immediately reset, begin by focusing on factors which most dramatically impact cold start drivability.Excessive Air IntakeToo much air getting into the intake, at a time when it demands a richer fuel mixture, can create a rough idle.Check for vacuum leaks. Vacuum hoses and lines should not be cracked or collapsed. Listen for hissing or sucking noises and don’t forget to listen around the throttle body, intake manifold gasket, brake booster and the PCV valve.The air intake hose (from the air filter box to the throttle body), should have no cracks or holes.The IAC valve plays an important role in cold start drivability. Make sure that the valve and seat are clean and free of debris.Make sure that the throttle plate is clean and free of carbon coking.Check EGR valve position, It should be closed at idle. If it is open, it creates a vacuum leak.Low Fuel PressureMake sure that the fuel tank has good, clean fuel.If fuel pressure is low, check the fuel filter for obstruction.

If you had it in a shop recently some one may have left a vacuum hose off some where as well . either way get it checked out sooner the better.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.