Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have low compression in my number 5 cylinder I own a 2004…

I have low compression...

I have low compression in my number 5 cylinder I own a 2004 Chevy Colorado 3.5 L any idea on how to fix that? Without having to replace the motor or cylinder itself

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

276,000 and it's an automatic I realize the miles are high so I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've taken it to my mechanic he did a compression test cylinder 5 is low there are two codes po300 and poo14

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I realize it can be plugs wires coil dirty throttle body etc. Just wondering if there's any way to check it out or diagnose it before having to have my mechanic spend 5 hours of Labor just diagnosing the problem

3/21/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Give me a few minutes to type up answer for you. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay that would be great thank you!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't used this sight before, so I'm curious how long I have to wait for a response?

It sounds like you have a few issues going on. P0014 sets when the PCM detected the difference between the desired Cam phase angle and actual Cam phase angle was more than 3.75 degrees for 3 seconds usually meaning the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) Solenoid​ has failed. This would not cause the low compression though which is your main issue. Low compression is caused by a strictly mechanical issue such as leaking valve or worn camshaft. I'd start by removing valve cover and inspecting camshaft and rocker arms, if good then next step is removing the cylinder head to have a valve job done. Having valves repaired would be around a $2000 repair depending on where you go, rocker arms around $1000, and camshaft around $1000. So I'm arfraid there is not going to be a simple repair and for that reason with the high mileage engine replacement might be the best option. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay that's a pretty thorough explanation I appreciate that!! I do have a question, if I clean the throttle body or change the plugs or wires or change the solenoid/senors or all of that would that perhaps change the compression?

I'm afraid not, none of that would effect compression. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I'm aware of my option on how to fix the problem but what's the easiest way to diagnose the problem without having to spend hundreds and parts and taking "stabs in the dark"so to speak

The fact compression is low is enough to know it is going to be a expensive repair. Next step would be to remove valve cover and inspect cams/rockers which can be done within a hour or two. If those are good then you know problem is valves. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Because best case scenario is $1000 and mileage is so high replacing engine is probably going to be the best option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
basically what you're saying is if there is low compression in cylinder number 5 there's no other possible option it could be something as simple has he sensor spark plugs dirty throttle body Etc? hence the reason the vehicle is running rough? The reason I ask is because my mechanic called me yesterday and said there's low compression in cylinder number 5 and that was the end of it and said I could pick up my truck. But after reading some Forums on the internet some people said to fix that rough idle especially in these vehicles particularly once you clean the throttle body it runs like a million bucks. I just don't want to give up so soon without a second opinion

Vehicle can run rough for many reasons such as injector, coil, throttle body, ect but these don't cause low compression. Low compression can only be caused by a engine mechanical problem such as valves, pistons , camshaft, or rocker arm. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no chance it is something that is going to cost less then $1000 to repair. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay well that does answer the majority of everything so at this point there's no point of me asking my mechanic to look into it any further? He did already in fact Discoverer there is low compression on cylinder number 5 but I did ask him to please look further into it and do a leak down test and what not. He said ok. Is there a logical reason that he would say "ok" even though he already Discoverer that cylinder 5 has low compression.

No one likes delivering bad news without no hope at all so I'd guess that is main reason but maybe he thinks you might want to spend the $1000-$2000 to repair current engine instead of the $3000-$4000 to install a lower mileage used engine. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay gotcha. I'm prepared for the worst and hope for the best. I can accept defeat. it's been a good truck last question is have you ever heard of that lubricating restore and it can does that in fact help a little bit I've heard some people call it engine rebuild in a can I know it's a quick fix and it probably wouldn't hurt I was just curious about your opinion on it. And also is there any sort of timeframe and how long my truck will run with low compression. One mile or another 50,000?

A big part of the compression restoring work is how low compression is. If it is maybe 80psi or higher you might have a little hope but the lower the compression gets the less hope you have. You should be fine to run vehicle as is for quite awhile yet but it is going to lack power, get worse gas mileage, and check engine light will be on. I'd recommend unplugging the #5 injector if you plan to run it as is otherwise unburned fuel will go into oil. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect you done an excellent job answering my questions I appreciate everything! I guess my only concern at that point is when I'm driving my vehicle down the highway that runs excellent but when I come to a complete stop or put it in park it idles very rough I just don't want it to die on me and not start again and I suppose as a possibility? I guess that's my main concern. My truck dying while I'm pulling up to a bank window or at a stoplight. I suppose anything's a possibility and I'm not expecting for the exact answer just seeing your possible opinions
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I'm curious how much this costs me for each question that I asked you?

It is only 1 fee regardless of how many questions you ask and you can always come back and ask more without additional fees if you have more. Vehicle shouldn't start running any worse then it already is with current problems but other then trying the compression restore additive it running rough at idle will just be something you have to live with without getting it repaired. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I completely understand. Every time I'm ready to end the conversation I think of one last thing sorry about that. Now knowing that I have low compression would a heavier weight oil or thicker oil be more beneficial to me? Or anyothet tiny little tricks of the trade to help it keep chuggin on. I'm going to be buying a new vehicle in 6 months. I kust want to try to make this one last for at least that. Your thoughts on it lasting 6 more months? I drive my truck very cautiously n east maybe the reason I have 276 k on it. Lol

I'd say add the compression restore to see if that helps as that is really the only option you have at this point if it doesn't help just disable #5 injector and hope for the best. I think vehicle has a good chance of making it another 6 months without leaving you stranded. Let me know if you have questions or run into questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect!!! Hey I really appreciate you answering all my Petty questions and you giving me advice!! Well worth the money I'll give you an excellent rating too!! In case I have another question tomorrow possibly how do I get a hold of you again. If I have to pay more money that's totally fine with me as well

You can reply to this answer the same way you are now at any time without additional fees so just save the link, I'm happy to answer any other questions you may run into. Thanks.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning Dan. Hey I had another question if you want mind maybe helping me out again. I have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 L 4X4. I was just curious why in The Message Center it says "service 4wd" Yet the four-wheel-drive still works just fine when I push the button to engage it?

T​his could be caused by many thing, usually a problem with the shift actuator. You will want to start by having diagnostic codes checked, most parts stores can do this for free. Let me know if you have questions or what codes you have when you get a chance to get them checked. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect will do thanks again!!

No problem, keep me updated. Have a great day, thanks.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hey Dan just wanted to give you an update. They did a compression test on cylinder number 5. It has 130 PSI. Still runs a little rough.

A normal reading should be around 215 psi so that is pretty low but you may have a little hope with a compression restore additive.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Only at idle or when you come to a stop sign though. When you're at highway speeds it feels like a brand new motor. Even having 130 PSI in that cylinder should it still run that rough? Or something else possibly causing it to run that rough?

At highway speeds its hard to feel a cylinder misfire. If you disconnect a fuel injector and it still runs the same at highway speed you know cylinder isn't contributing at all.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Yep I just added a can of that additive to it!! How long until I notice a difference? If there is even going to be a difference that is. 5 miles are 50 miles?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Wow I haven't heard that from anybody else even my own mechanic. You're pretty knowledgeable and very very helpful I hope you know that. Thanks,a million
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I don't mean to keep bugging you amd I'm more than happy to compensate you for all of your advice and answers. I'm just curious how long I can ask you questions for . I've never used this internet site before

You can ask questions as long as you want. If cylinder is working at all then you will notice a difference right away. If you don't notice a difference then this would mean compression is so low it isn't allowing fuel to combust. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician