Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Trying to find a fuse to use to hard wire dash cam in. 2011…

Trying to find a...

Trying to find a fuse to use to hard wire dash cam in

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your Chevy. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

2011 1500 4 door

3/21/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

You're looking for a wire in the area of the dash, the rear view mirror, or where are you mounting this camera?

Im looking for a fuse to use so it will turn on with truck and turn off with the truck. I have a fuse tap

The pink wire that runs to the stop lamp switch should be a switched power source. Verify that with a test light. It's the same circuit that the factory would use for a backup camera if it came built that way, so it should be fine for your purposes as well.

The fuse for this is underhood, though, labeled MISC IGN. I'd probably just tap into the circuit at the stop lamp switch instead, since that circuit is fused already, and it fits the bill.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up

When you say stop lamp switch do you mean the fuse .Is there afuse in the cab fuse panel, it is a dash cam Im putting by rear view mirror.
The fuse itself is under the hood. The circuit is under the dash. It’s a fused circuit already, you can simply splice in there. If you want I can investigate the mirror wiring and see if you can hook it up there. I have wired things in this vicinity before
I all ready have the fuse tap so Ill try the fuse under the hood so it is labaled the miscellaneous (ignition) cruise control?

It is labeled just as I put it above: MISC IGN

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

when I check it with a test light I get no light with truck on are off

That is hot with key on, according to the schematic. Did you test your test light to make sure it works?

light works, some of the fuses test no power truck on or off
it had some corrosion on it now Im reading power
how hard is it to connect to the rear veiw mirror

I'm sure we can come up with a switch power source there. Do you have an overhead console? There is power up there, too.

with garage door openers and lights

Let me get a schematic. I wired a dash cam into my 2015 using circuits up there, I think it was for the garage door opener, which I don't use anyway. Let me see how your 2011 is wired.

The pink wire that goes to pin 13 at the rear view mirror is switched power, only on in RUN and CRANK.

The other wires in the overhead console are hot at all times, so that's a non starter. But you can tap into that pink wire going to the mirror. This is a pretty low power usage component, so I wouldn't be concerned about overloading the circuit. It's not going to draw more than the 10 amp fuse rating, I think it would be fine to wire in here.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician