Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

As I am driving down the road it shuts off and I got it

Customer Question
As I am driving...

As I am driving down the road it shuts off and I got it checked and its giving me a P1441 EVAP canister purge valve leak code

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

The truck is a 2001 gmc sierra and there still stock hoses. driving conditions are light traffic cold weather and take really good care of truck I don't beat it or take it to the mountains

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to locate the problem to get it fixed myself if possible. Ive tried cleaning the MAF sensor truck has been straight piped so check engine is on for that but its been about 12 years that ive done that to it also have had no other issues with the truck and it doesn't shut off to often but when it does it will do it high speeds and low speeds

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

P1441 generally points to a purge solenoid that is stuck open. Access the purge solenoid, on top of the intake manifold. Disconnect the electrical connector, remove the hose from the solenoid, and with the engine running, see if there is vacuum at the nipple where the hose was attached. If so, replace the solenoid, it should be normally closed until commanded on.

This may or may not cause a stalling issue, I'm not certain this is related to your engine shutdown concerns.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.