Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Chevy suburban. I went to turn off the car,

I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Chevy suburban. I went to turn off the car, but the blower keeps going. How do I stop it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, it’s been serviced at the dealership for all of its 188,000 miles. My wife is leaving on a trip in the AM, with this car, so trying to figure out the problem. I drove it all day & last week, but had no issue.

3/20/2018
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

The best you can do right now is to unplug the 40 amp Blower fuse in the underhood fuse block. The blower speed control transistor next to the blower motor under the dash has melted on and will need to be replaced to restore operation.

Please let me know how I can help

Thanks

How long will that take at the dealership to fix?

Should be about .7 hours labor to repair. I don't know how long to write up the repair and get you scheduled in.

I would have an independent shop do the work, it is not hard and they work for much less.

Where is the under hood fuse box? Inside or outside the car?

The underhood box is next to the battery under the hood where the engine is. There is a legend on the lid of the box to identify the fuses. The Blower fuse is one of the large ones.

Should be top center of the large fuses at the top of the box.

Can I just replace the fuse & it’s fixed?

No, the fuse is not the problem it is the blower speed control transistor mounted inside next to the blower motor that has failed and needs to be replaced. You remove the fuse to turn the motor off and save your battery from running down.

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
eric remington
eric remington, FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR
Phone call session started
Ok. Thank you

I am always glad to help, please let me know if you have further questions or how I can help you further with this.