Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1 and Allison trans. I have…

Hello i have a 2001...
Hello i have a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1 and Allison trans. I have an intermittent leak where I'll get a small puddle from time to time. Did a pressure test and see a small stream coming below from what appears to be passenger side exhaust manifold. Bottom rear corner leaking on the exhaust connection out of manifold. I understand the 496 has a dry manifold. I didn't see any leaking from the top while under pressure. Any ideas.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Antifreeze leak
3/19/2018
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hello, my name is***** to just Answer! I will be assisting you with your vehicle questions today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Todd

Yes this engine will not leak coolant from the exhaust manifold. It's either coming from the Intake Manifold gasket or the Head gasket or where the heater hoses connect to the heater core which is in the same general area

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the manifold gasket wet or dry on the 8.1. I don't see the heater core hoses.leaking and I don't believe there is a hose heading to the manifold on this motor as well. Hoping it's not the head gasket

Stand by a minute

You are correct....The intake has no coolant running through it so the only 2 things that can be leaking in that area is heater hoses or that head gasket

Put some cooling system sealer in it and drive it for another 10,000 miles

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ill do another pressure test tomorrow and poke around more and see what I can. If not, red devil here i come. Thanks

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. I would ask that you consider leaving a 5 Star rating ans i will be available for followup questions you may have as rating 5 Star will not close out your question

Were you able to find anything

Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Todd, you nailed it, cracked fitting on heater core where it was working it's way down. I got a new one and the disconnect tool and all good. A $15 dollar fix

Glad it was that and not the head gasket

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician