Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Installed new camshaft position sensor on 2004 chevy tahoe…

Installed new camshaft position...

Installed new camshaft position sensor on 2004 chevy tahoe 4x4 5.3l and still getting the same code that the problem is the camshaft position sensor so it wont pass a smog test because the check engine light is on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have changed the sensor twice to make sure the first one I out in wasn't defective but it made no difference

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

what code number is ***** ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
p0340

2004 tahoe with a 5.3 and setting a 340 ?

are you sure its a 340 code ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
0341 and 0342 I just checked it

this here needs to be followed to find the problem

with a new sensor then the reluctor wheel is damaged somehow or there is too much cam shaft play

if you have any questions please ask

please do not forget to rate me here at Justanswer

DTC P0342

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor works in conjunction with a 1 X reluctor wheel on the camshaft. The powertrain control module (PCM) provides a 12 volt reference to the CMP sensor as well as a low reference and a signal circuit.

As the camshaft rotates, the reluctor wheel interrupts a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The sensors internal circuitry detects this and produces a signal which the PCM reads.

The CMP sensor 1 X signal is used by the PCM to determine if the cylinder at top dead center (TDC) is on the firing stroke or the exhaust stroke. The PCM can determine TDC for all cylinders by using the CKP sensor 24 X signal alone. The engine will start without a CMP signal as long as the PCM receives the CKP sensor 24 X signal. A slightly longer cranking time may be a symptom of this condition. The system attempts synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed indicating that the engine started. If the PCM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the PCM assumes that the PCM incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke and re-syncs to the opposite cam position. If the PCM detects that a CMP signal is constantly low, DTC P0342 sets.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
- The engine is running.
- The engine speed is less than 4,000 RPM.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The PCM detects that the CMP sensor signal is low for 1.5 seconds.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
- The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
- The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC
- The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
- A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
- A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
- Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
The following conditions may cause this DTC to set:
- Camshaft reluctor ring damage
- The sensor coming in contact with the reluctor ring
- Foreign material passing between the sensor and the reluctor ring
- Excessive camshaft end-play
- Wiring routed too close to secondary ignition components

Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician