Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Shift Cable end will not snap onto the ball at the

Customer Question
Shift Cable end will...

Shift Cable end will not snap onto the ball at the transmission side. Seems to be a missing retainer clip. Not sure if I can replace just the clip.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

That question has nothing to do with my problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1999 GMC C1500 Suburban 5.7L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your R1500 Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read my problem before asking me questions.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

What goes wrong on these is the link itself. It has a ball end on it that's supposed to hold the cable, but the ball wears out or rusts away over time, and the cable won't stay on.

Your dealer probably has these in stock, it's fairly common and the new link only costs about $15, and is easy to replace. That will fix this problem up for you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.