Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS HVAC blower will not run Blower…

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS HVAC blower...
2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS
HVAC blower will not run
Blower motor and resistor module OK. 12 Vdc at resistor module is present and OK.
Do not have variable voltage present on resistor module control wire when climate control blower knob is adjusted from 1 - 12.
Was suggested that climate control panel is bad but I can't locate a wiring diagram to see the big picture. Do you have blower wiring diagrams for this vehicle? Climate control (22810239) appears to be human interface only. Does blower resistor module control signal ground come from ECM? How to test for problem?
3/19/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

I am attaching the big picture here for you. It sounds like you are comfortable with checking voltages and reading schematics, so I'll spare you the play by play. If you need me to break it down for you, though, just let me know.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Thanks. When I check for voltage at the blower control module (term 6/Bat to term 3 / ground signal) I measure constant 12V regardless of blower setting 1-12. No change when dialing control up or down. Blower motor output voltage at term 1/purple to term 2/ Orange is always zero. So, HVAC control module is suspect, correct? Instrument panel fuses F29DA, F12DA & F14DA are good. Any other checks I should make or is HVAC control module replacement next move? Is HVAC control panel located behind the main control switch plate / center console? Can module be replaced by customer or does it require dealer programming to install?

The circuit that goes from HVAC module to blower control module is a PWM circuit, so you won't see voltage on this circuit, but a duty cycle. If you have a lab scope or multimeter that measures duty cycle, you can test this output, but a voltmeter won't cut it.

If you do find that it needs an HVAC control module, it DOES require programming with dealer equipment before it will work.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Thanks. I do have a scopemeter and will test that way. Saw an on-line video where technician checked that same signal with a good voltmeter and while signal was pulse width - voltmeter average signal did show the change. May not have been accurate but at least showed signal was varying. My fluke sat right at battery voltage and never wiggled. If scopemeter shows same result I'm dealer bound anyway it would seem. Is the HVAC module behind the center panel? Was going to look at the harness connectors and make sure securely seated but don't want to risk the trim plate if it's not back there. I assume that is however. Thanks

The HVAC module is behind the center panel, it's a bit of work to get it out of there. If you are headed to the dealer anyway, best to let them test it with a scan tool and see if they can command functions and get a better handle on it, then they can replace it if necessary and program it.

Thank you Jerry