Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Having trouble removing fuel rails from 2011 gmc acadia. It…

Having trouble removing fuel...

Having trouble removing fuel rails from 2011 gmc acadia

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It idles and rides rough

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced bank 2 sensor 2, sea foam through intake.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

And you are trying to remove the fuel rails now. What sort of trouble are you having with that?

The bank 2 fuel rail can not be lifted out because it is stopped by the bank 1 fuel rail. The bank 1 fuel rail can not be lifted out because it is stopped by the side of the lower intake manifold. How do I remove these fuel rails without damaging them or the fuel injectors?

Did you remove the crossover tube?

Where is that located and what does it look like?

It's the tube that goes between the two fuel rails, and connects them together.

I removed the fuel pressure sensor, the line to the fuel pump, and the line connected the two rails.
I removed the crossover tube.

OK, just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to remove the fuel rails all in one piece.

I am trying to visualize what you're doing there, I don't recall having the issue that you're having.

I can get the rail up a few inches but the left (passenger) side gets blocked by the opposite fuel rail. Both are in between the lower intake manifold and do not seem to have enough room to be removed with the injectors in place.

The fuel rail/injectors should have enough wiggle room that you can finesse the fail past the lower intake. You have to remove bank 1 before removing bank 2. Removing bank 1, the rail should be able to be pushed enough to get past the intake ports on the manifold.

Bank 1 would be the rail on the cab side of the engine, correct?

That is correct.

I believe I have attempted that and bank 1 was stopped by the lower intake (not right above it but the wall on the passenger side) but I will keep on wiggling. Is there a special removal tool that you know of?

There is no special tool required or suggested here. But you do have to disconnect the injectors from the rail, they won't all come out together.

Will I be able to reinstall the injector in before attaching it to the fuel rail?

Injectors have to be rebuilt any time they're removed. The seals all have to be replaced, and when finished, the injector gets installed with new seals, and the fuel rail is installed on top of it.

Don't try to reuse any of the seals on this.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Thank you, ***** ***** keep plugging away.
I ended up removing the bank 2 rail first; however, I had to pry the injectors off of the fuel rail to get the rail out, then removed the injectors. Even with more room, I had to do the same with the bank 1 rail because of the impediments I mentioned earlier. I now know why it costs a shop $1200 to replace because these are the recommended replacements: fuel pressure sensor, fuel pump to rail high pressure line, fuel pressure crossover pipe, six (6) fuel injectors, intake manifold gasket, and if they are bad at their job a fuel rail or two... Total cost for me is about half of dealership charges, so I will still be happy when it is complete and running again.