Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1998 motorhome with the p30 chevy chassis. I have taken…

My 1998 motorhome with...

My 1998 motorhome with the p30 chevy chassis. I have taken the top of the steering column apart to remove and replace the key switch. I can not get the retaining clip back in. If I pull the shaft up to get enough shaft, it pulls the bearing cap off and the column warbles - not good. is there a special tool I need to press that bearing at the same time pull up on the shaft to get enough length to compress the sping and get the ring in the grove?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

Key works fine - not the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Chevy?

P30 chassis - southwind motor home

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes - did you read the above

3/19/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, you need to use a lock plate tool that compresses the spring to insert the clip - see attached

You can rent it from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Or purchase it for around $20

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
awesome I will give it a try, what does it clip on to

The center goes on the steering shaft and the arms push down on the plate to push the spring down enough to insert the retaining plate