Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Recently put an engine in my 98 chevy s10 and the upon the…

Recently put an engine...

Recently put an engine in my 98 chevy s10 and the upon the first start after all the guages went to the right but the came back except the oil pressure light is topped out past 80

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?

Well i didnt but im assuming the mechanics did

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No just researching stuff online for now the mechanics seem puzzeled and im looking for a second opinion

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well , it tops out past 80...when you shut it off it goes back to about 40 and lingers...but if I turn the key on (only) it will go down to zero...but then past 80 again on the startuo startup oops sorry

is it more to talk on the phone ?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/18/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The first step is to check this oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, to verify that the gauge reading is correct. It probably isn't, you probably need a new sender, but checking the actual oil pressure is a key first step here.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

are you talking about the oil sending unit or sensor switch

Well, both. There is only one. It's at the back of the engine near the distributor, and it's susceptible to damage during engine installation. Made of plastic, its pretty easy to just snap it off when wrestling the engine into place in an S10.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Phone call session started