Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 conversion built on a Chevy Express 1500 base has what…

2006 conversion built on a...
2006 conversion built on a Chevy Express 1500 base has what I'd call a "surging" problem. It set on suddenly -- not something that's been building. If I start the vehicle and let it idle, the idle won't stay at a consistent speed. It will run normally, then speed up briefly, and then slow to a sputter. Sometimes it will cycle like that for a couple of minutes, and sometimes it will just die after sputtering. It will never stay running at idle for more than two minutes. There is no check engine light triggered, so I don't have any codes to offer.What is the most likely cause?
3/18/2018
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

May I start by getting your VIN please?

I can then post the most likely possible causes for you.

1GBFG15T661142990My own guess is a throttle body issue. This first occurred after a period when the battery had failed and the van set without electric power. Is there any chance that the throttle body might have "lost its learning"? If so, can it be run through a re-learning cycle?

YES it is possible and the throttle body assembly could have gone bad. However, based on my experience, this will usually set a code or codes related to the throttle body assembly or set up.

One possible cause we see a lot of would be an air/vacuum leak. This is very common. Look close by the intake air snorkel or tube, throttle body and or gasket as well as all vacuum hoses and lines and fix/replace any as needed.

Another possible cause would be a faulty mass air flow sensor. This too is also very common so be sure to check that as well.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
I thought about the mass air flow sensor too, although that's another item where I'd expect a code to be set. And the engine didn't really run rough -- just with variations in speed.I took it on a good drive to get it warmed up, and that made it run longer at idle without causing the engine to die. So with that improvement, I ran it through a re-learning sequence I found online. So far, so good. For now I'll just check it daily. Once the weather warms back up, I'll remove the throttle body and clean it -- and I'll probably replace the MAF sensor just out of caution.

Sounds good!