Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Tbi swap on my 1972 gmc pickup 350cid. Pretty much all

hooked up to do a...
Tbi swap on my 1972 gmc pickup 350cid. Pretty much all hooked up to do a test fire. Wont fire because no fuel coming out of injector. I can hear the fuel pump going.Only aftermarket parts used, cheap eBay distributor, expensive fuel pump. I don’t remember the brand. It was one of the recommended pumps on the forums.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Are you getting injector pulse at the injector connector?
I did not check. We were thinking it may be a ground issue. As we were cleaning the grounds with the key on, the injectors would fire. But once connected to the same spot as the battery ground, they wouldn’t fire anymore.One thing I did notice is that the starter took a second to start cranking after turning the key.
No injector pulse

OK, are you getting spark?

No spark.

OK. Do you have power at the pink wire going to the distributor cap?

OK, white wire at coil, do you have a pulsing ground on this when you are cranking the engine? Attach a test light to B+, probe the white wire, and crank the engine. Test light should flash.

Does not flash.
That connector was loose. I snapped it in place and it started right up.

Outstanding!

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician