Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Shut off without stalling or stuttering. Now engine will…

Shut off without stalling...

Shut off without stalling or stuttering. Now engine will rotate but won't start. Replaced plugs wires cap rotor and HEI

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

I was driving to work and she just quit. No stutter or anything just died. I coasted her off the road. Towed her home. I had given her a tune up the week before.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

89 3/4 ton Silverado

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have repaired her since she rolled off the lot in 88. Never had this problem before. I checked all the plug wires, saw some crossover on the cap pick ups so I replaced the cap and rotor. That increased the start impulse, but she's still just spinning. Next on the list was the coil it failed at the store so replaced it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

About all I know currently

3/18/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
When you crank it, is there fuel spraying out of the fuel injectors on the throttle body?
Not sure fuel is reaching the TBI
When cranking you should see fuel squirting out as the engine turns over. If you aren’t sure if there is fuel, you will have to get a special TBI fuel pressure gauge, available at most parts stores. Pressure should be 9-13 psi at the throttle body
OK I have fuel reaching the TBI but not being injected.
The common fix here is either the distributor pickup coil or the module. If you get a reman distributor, it comes with both of these things. Can you determine whether you have spark?
Fuel is injecting into the engine. I had to play with a couple mirrors to view the injectors. Sometimes being single has it's drawbacks.
Ok! Do you have spark?
No spark
Put a new ignition module in it.
The only piece not replaced on the distributer north of the intake manifold is the pickup coil.
I purchased a new pickup coil, but I cannot find instructions on how to remove the old and install the new part.

If you have injector pulse, your pickup coil is good. You should have alternating sprays from each of the two injectors as it cranks over, can you verify that?hj

I'm sorry I couldn't make the phone call earlier, I wasn't at my desk. I'm back now if you want to continue on with it.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Phone call session started
Ok the injectors alternate.

Pickup coil is good, then. No spark, can you go to the coil connector and see if you have power on the pink wire with the key ON?

Sorry I have been out of town. The vehicle is still unresponsive. I will try the power to coil check tomorrow AM.

No problem, we'll carry on when you re ready.