Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Gauges out and digital message ststing battery not charging.

Customer Question
Gauges out and digital...

Gauges out and digital message ststing battery not charging

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Brand new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004 tahoe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, broke down 400 miles from home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We think its alternator or instrument panel/gauges

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
working on it myself . all gauges stopped working including odometer lights. then 5 minutes later everything lit up just fine. then the battery not charging light came on and volt were at about 7. then gauges and odometer light went out again
are you there
3/18/2018
Chevy Mechanic: John Vieira, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
John Vieira
John Vieira, Auto Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be working with you on the issue at hand.

Pull out the ground wire negative cable, while its running and see if it dies. If it dies the problem is your alternator. I will go over the steps for you, if you prefer, to change the alternator. Let me know please.

We are heading to the auto parts store now. But I was also wondering if the instrument panel going dark is the first sign the alternator is going? The entire instrument panel went dark and came back on after turning the truck off it came back on. THen 20 minutes later the digital display started flashing the battery isn't charging message. Thank god we were near a hotel. I'm on the road with my family and most of the drive is desolate Arizona desert.