Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I changed the battery and now the anti theft code is

Customer Question
I changed the battery...

I changed the battery and now the anti theft code is flashing and it won't turn over. All lights and dash lights up. It is a brand new battery voltage over 12V

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

There is power and everthing lights up.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2008 Equinox

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. Just the battery. The old battery froze and was bulged, it would turn over with a charger it on it but nothing without a charger so I bought a new battery and now the vehicle won't crank over and the anti theft light is flashing at me

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is the original key

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/18/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The theft system shouldn't have lost its memory just because battery power was lost. However, sometimes when battery voltage is not stable, computers go into a logic lockup and have to be rebooted.

The way to do this is to remove both battery cables from the battery, and then touch the cable ends together for several seconds. This drains all the memory from the computers and forces them to restart, so they lose any bad habits. After a few seconds, reconnect the battery and try again.

If that's not successful, there's not a way for you to relearn or bypass this system and it will need to be towed to the dealer for diagnosis and repair. This procedure works more often than not, though, and it's what the dealer tech will do first if you tow it in there.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

That did not help at all. Could I purchase a Scan Tool with fix option and reset it myself or only the dealer can do this?

It requires a dealer scan tool if relearning is necessary, but I'm more concerned that there is a communications or computer issue that is preventing the theft deterrent from working. The symptom would be the same whether you need a relearn or a new module, there's no way to tell without a capable scan tool.

Any scan tool that you buy at a parts store or just about anywhere else is not going to do much good on this. It needs a Tech 2, the GM scan tool, and the software information that the dealer has.