Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Really hope you can help. 2014 Malibu wont release the key…

Customer Question
Hi Dave. Really hope...

Hi Dave. Really hope you can help. 2014 Malibu wont release the key or shift from park. Just before this really failed, the trunk lid would open when the brake was pushed and/or the key was turned on. I unhooked the harness to the trunk lid and at least got the trunk to stay down and of course lost the lights on the trunk lid. As best I can tell, there are three players in all this in some order of operation. The brake pedal, shift button and key position. I tend to believe there may be a short in the harness at the trunk lid to cause the brake light circuit to fire the trunk release. I hope I gave you enough to get some kind of theory going on this. It appears to be a historic problem with these.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Level is fine. Had the system flushed last year with a caliper replace.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well we sure would like to take a good shot at it. I have been an industrial maintenance tech. for 25 yrs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No...hopefully have adequate description to get started.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

1. Check for battery voltage at the M93 Key Capture Solenoid Actuator located within steering column, mounted to ignition lock cylinder housing on Violet/Yellow wire. If there is no voltage on the Violet/Yellow wire, check the wire from the M93 solenoid actuator to the K9 Body Control Module (BCM) connector X3 terminal 7 for an open, short or high resistance.

2. If there is battery voltage at the M93 solenoid actuator from the BCM, check for a ground on the White/Violet wire at the M93 solenoid actuator with the transmission in park.

3. If there is no ground on the White/Violet wire with the shifter in the park position, check the White/Violet wire from the M93 solenoid actuator to the transmission shift lever park position switch for an open or poor terminal connections. The wire color changes at the transmission shift lever from a White/Violet wire to a Dk Blue/White wire at the park position switch.

4. If the wiring between the M93 solenoid actuator test OK, check the park position switch for proper operation. The switch is normally open and closes when the shifter is moved to the park position.

5. If the park position switch tests OK, check the Black wire at the park position switch for a good ground. The park position switch grounds at G305 located at the left front, at base of left A-pillar.

6. If all wiring and park switch test OK, but the M93 actuator solenoid will not activate, replace the M93 actuator solenoid.

See if these steps make sense to you, if not, let me know and I'll try to explain it a little better.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Hi Jerry...I'm back. Had to wait until opportunity caughtup with the car.Attempted to check things out last night. Figures though, everything worked fine. Couldn't duplicate symptoms. Hooked the trunk lid harness back up and the latch was fine. Didn't open when the brakes applied. Can't find issue when it all works.Son drove car last night. Trunk lid started popping open. He unhooked the harness. Then back to the locked key and shifter thing. He pulled over for some reason and turned on the four-ways. Keys stuck, wouldn't shift, dash lights flashing. Unhooked battery for a few and was able to get going. Still messed up somewhere.I'm thinking all the switches and solenoids are fine or not catastrophic at this time (They do function). Your last suggestion was heading to a grounding issue. I need more description of the passenger "A" pillar and where there may be a grounding location common (hopefully) to these systems.Working here the Mx. Dept at Frito Lay tells me historically these type of things are very simple to fix if you can fine the source of the problem. You'll agree it can cost a lot of $$$ to find an intermittent problem like this.Thanks
Joe

The A pillar is the part of the car that the front door is attached to. It is from the roof, along the windshield, all the way down to the floor. The ground connection is behind the trim panel on this A pillar, attached to the sheet metal. You'll have to pull the trim piece off to see it and check it. If you think about sitting in the driver's seat, the ground is in the area where your left foot might kick the side of the car under the dash or near the door.

Hi Jerry...Does it seem reasonable to you that this may be a grounding issue?

Possibly, that's a strange landing point to jump to, but the solenoid needs ground, and it receives this ground via the switch in the shifter. The shifter won't move, so I really think you're going to find that you need a new shifter (the switch has failed, is my guess), but the testing above will reveal it. So yes, it's a ground issue, but probably not as simple as going to the A pillar and reattaching a ground wire that fell off. They don't fall off very often, this is almost certainly going to be a shifter or BCM issue.

Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 1 month ago

Did you get this worked out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jerry Finally got to spend some time with the car tonight.There have been no issues in several days.Started going after the gear shift switch and gave up for now. Seems if everything is working then nothing will meter bad. We did pull the the A-pillar cover and actually found a broken ground wire. Smaller one of the two, landed on the lug toward the back. Touched it to ground and all was fine. We crimped on new rings. While that was exposed, we unhooked all the ground wires and the key release and gear shifter still worked. The battery seems to be going south. It has to be jumped or turns over real slow and catches.I meterd the Battery while running and had >mid 14volts. I didn't check it off after the lights dimmed out though. Two questions for now are shouldn't the key be locked in with the grounds unhooked? And can a weak battery cause this in regards ***** ***** solonoids draw whatever that may be. Most of all at this point, If it is working then everything will meter good?Thanks
Joe
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Again Jerry....The ground wire was for the trunk lid. We are sure we cured that issue. The trunk lid ground Is the wire we re-landed.....Joe

Last question first: if everything is working, then all test results will be good, so you can't test for this until/unless it fails again.

The way I read the schematic, yes, a lost ground should mean that it won't release the key. And yes, low battery voltage can affect this, not so much at the solenoids, which will tend to work, but the BCM is a computer, and computers hate low voltage. Makes them very unpredictable.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician