Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Who has been working on getting the dump bed in my truck to…

Jerry, this is Tom who...
Jerry, this is Tom who has been working on getting the dump bed in my truck to work. Replaced the unit but it needs to grounded(I think the old one was all metal which served as its own ground) is it ok to ground the unit to the steel frame of the truck ? There is a hole , you can see it in the picture, I could put a bolt through
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Are you all set on this?

Did you get this pump going yet?

Not exactly. I had to add an extension in order to screw in connector(no room otherwise) see picture. Need to find different extension. When the dump bed goes down fluid comes out of the top if the cap even though the reservoir isn’t over filled. What could that be? For the time being I raised the height of the bed by adding additional wood pieces between the rails of the flatbed and truck frame

Is the reservoir on this the same size as your old one? It sounds like it's too small.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same size. What else could it be?

It seems like your hydraulic system is using more oil than the reservoir can hold, unless you're overfilling it. You fill it with the bed all the way down, yes?

No. The unit is under the bed in between the frame rails of the truck (87 R30 have gas tanks outside of the frame rails) and the reservoir cap has a dip stick with two lines about an inch a part and I filled to the top line. Maybe you only fill it to the top line with the bed all the way down?

I guess it would be hard to fill it with the bed down, I understand that, but the general gist of hydraulic systems is you fill them when the pistons are all the way compressed, and that's the filled point. If you add fluid when the piston is extended, it's probably going to be overfull and will push out when the piston compresses.

I would ignore the dipstick, and just let it push fluid out until it doesn't push fluid out anymore, and we'll call that the full mark. As long as it has enough fluid to push the bed all the way up, it doesn't matter what the dipstick says.

Good to know. Do they make special L shaped fittings so you can screw them when the openings are so close together? If the bed is resting on the safety bar how much pressure is in the system? Concerned about when unscrewing fitting for replacement there will be too much pressure to do it safely!

The bed is pushing down with 1000 lbs of force. I wouldn't open a line unless the bed is relaxed, either all the way down or on the kickstand.

if I lower the bed on the kickstand and continue to hold the toggle switch in the down position for another 20 seconds do you can tell the weight of the bed is on the kickstand, there should be very little pressure. This is what I did when I took out the old unit BUT the old unit couldn’t hold any pressure. As soon as I moved the toggle switch from the up position to neutral the bed would go down on its own. The bed now stays in the position it is in once I move the toggle switch from the up position to neutral. It doesn’t move unit I tell it to. When the bed is fully down is there much pressure in the system?

If it's on the kickstand or all the way down, like you said, there shouldn't be much/any pressure in that system, and you can open a line if you want. If the hydraulics are holding the bed up with pressure on the cylinder, and you open a line, two things will happen: fluid will come spraying out, and the bed will drop.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Truck runs hot, about 215 then went down on its own but then went back up to 215. Reved motor for a minute and it went down to 180(temp of the thermostat). Motor ran hot again; reved motor for a couple of minutes temp went down to 155. Radator and hoses,overflow tank, water pump, fan clutch, fan belts, thermostat all new. What could it be?