Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2016 suburban will not lock by pressing the button on the…

My 2016 suburban will...

My 2016 suburban will not lock by pressing the button on the doors. any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes, it worked yesterday without issue. The keyfob works but not the door button to lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I thought it was the battery but when I got my spare keyfob that I hae not ever used since I bought the burb 12/30/16, the button on the door (none of the doors) works

3/17/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Does your have the push button starter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has the push button start

When you close the door, do you get the chirp of the horn like a remote is left in the vehicle?

Also do any functions of the door work?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, it only chirps when I leave the keys in the car. I just tried remote start and unless I am doing it wrong (press twice and hold til start), it does not work. Also when I lock the car with both remotes, it does not honk the horn when locked.

Ok, the remote starter works by pressing the lock then holding the start button for 1.5 seconds.
The horn feedback is something you can setup in the radio.

Also do the doors lock at all with the passengers door switch or remotes? I Am thinking you said the remotes do work for locking and if I am understanding this, its ONLY the drivers door lock that does not work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cam, went out to try remote start per your instructions and it did not work. I then remembered I opened the rear tailgate window this morning but evidently I did not close it good enough. I opened it again, closed it normally and now ALL functions of both keyfobs work perfectly

OK, and does the lock work with the door again?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the button on the door unlocks everything and then locks all doors and when I press the lock button on the keyfob it sounds the horn as well.

Perfect. Do you have any other questions I can answer for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more. In the 15 months I've had the burb, on 7 random occasions, after filling the tank with gas, I start the vehicle and within 15 - 30 seconds, the car dies on me and it takes anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes before the car starts again and runs. On each occasion the fuel remaining varied from 1 - to 11 gallons still in the tank with most of the times a minimum of 4 gallons left. I have only used Shell gasoline since I bought the burb.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once it dies, I try to start and it will either start and run rough for a few seconds then dies or does not start at all.

Ok, so the most common issue causing this is a leaking EVAP purge valve on the engine. This leaking would cause fuel vapours to be present in the intake when the engine is not expect it. This would also set a check engine light.

The other issue is often the desire to top up the tank. These use a different shut off valve so when the tank hits 85% full, it blocks the inlet. If a person tries to top it up, raw gas ends up in the vapour canister and with the engine trying to keep that empty of fuel vapours, this works against it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well well, I do not see or get any "check engine "light at any of the 7 occurrences. I do top off the tank as when I fill up I want the full 31 gallons in the tank - not just 26 at around 85%. Thanks Cam for helping today. I will remember your name for the future!!!

OK so try to avoid topping off next time you fill and see if it stops.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. Again if you need further information, please use the Reply/Continue Conversation link to ask for more help and I would be happy to assist you further. You do not need to give a negative rating or relist the question to get more help :)

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do believe it is random as the last 10 fill ups I have done with topping off the tank has had no issues at all. Thanks again
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician