Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Car worked fine when I pulled into the gas station (2005…

Car worked fine when...

Car worked fine when I pulled into the gas station (2005 base impala) and now it won’t start. When I insert the key, and turn there is an electrical noise from the dashboard, and the car won’t do anything else

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The symbol for security (car with a lock) comes on, that’s new.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Station?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much, at a gas station, just filled it, won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s everything I know at this point

3/17/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

When you try to start, or even turn the headlights on, are they bright?

My first though is that your battery actually failed. It can happen that fast, a shorted cell inside and that would be it. Dim light if any and no start.
Second option would be the battery connections, perhaps one came loose.
Third I would think is a bad connection to a fuse block or ground.

For starters though, take the battery and have it tested. Please don't rely on a boost or some charger. THe only true way to rule it out is to have it tested out of vehicle. If the battery is not the issue, then this will ensure it is good so all other results will be valid.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Upon further troubleshooting, when I tried to start, the solenoid for the starter would engage, the daytime running lights would go out, and there wasn’t enough power to turn the starter.I pushed the vehicle away from the pump, the car started fine on a boost, the connections to the battery were ok (electronic anyway) and no immediate indication of an issue. I drove the car to a Canadian tire garage and had the battery replaced, turns out it was the factory original, (2005-2018 isn’t bad for a car battery) and the car has been working fine since the battery was replaced.Apologies about not having the battery tested, but at this time, I am confident that it was the issue, as you advised.