Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cranks but wont start, i believe its an electrical issue.

Cranks but wont start...

Cranks but wont start, i believe its an electrical issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

The fuel pump does not run which makes me think it may be related to passlock

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005 classic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced ignition lock assembly and tried to do the relearn procedure but security light wont stay on more than a few seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Had dtc b2965, b2958, u1088, u1000, u1016, b1327 in the history events

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Fuel pump should run no matter what. Are you sure there's no fuel pressure? Did you check it with a gauge?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i used a fuel pressure gauge and i dont hear the pump run. i can hear the relays click

Test for power at the pump. This is an apparent fuel pump failure, I would test for power at the pump connector on the gray wire. If you have power there, and ground on the large black wire at the pump connector, replace pump.

Pump only runs for two seconds at key on, make sure you are aware of this when testing for voltage. It's only there when you first turn it on, and when you crank the engine over.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
regardless of the fuel pump working or not what would cause the passlock relearn to not work after changing the lock cylinder

Are any of those B codes or U codes current?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i didnt see a date stamp but they didnt happen just now. they were stored in the history

OK, I tend to ignore those sorts of things unless they're current.

Did you put a new lock housing or steering column in this? Or just a lock cylinder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was the entire ignition lock assembly with the hall affect sensor

Nothing should prevent it from relearning, unless there is a wiring or other physical damage problem. Did the security light go out after ten minutes, or no?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the security light went out almost immediately after i bumped the key from on to run to on like the procedure says, never flashed or stayed illuminated

Interesting. Did you do the procedure for 30 minutes anyway?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i did, thats when i got on here cause that didnt make any sense unless the bcm is bad or some damage wiring somewhere

OK, it's not likely that we have two separate issues causing this to not start. I'd like to see if there is any power to the fuel pump, perhaps the pump is not being commanded on.

This is a 2005 Chevy Classic, is that right?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is, where is the connector for the fuel pump, its my grandparents car and if never really done any work on it

Under the car, toward the front of the tank, the connector drops down right next to the fuel lines, should be easy to get to as long as you can get under the car.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is going to take some time. the car hasnt ran in a while due to this issue, it hasnt been needed so im gonna have to move it. thank you for your help so far i will let you know when i get the fuel pump voltages

OK, let me know, I am happy to follow up when you are ready.

-Jerry

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok got it, there is no voltage going to the fuel pump. i checked on the grey and black wire. oh and the connector is right behind the fuel tank thankfully, theres a heat shield wrapped around the front of the tank for the exhaust.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Change that I looked at the connector to double check and I was on the wrong pins. Looked at the connector backwards. There is voltage so that means the fuel pump is bad. What about the passlock issue.

If you clear those codes, do any of them come back when you try to start it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No no more codes have came back. Since the fuel pump is getting 12 volts but I don't hear it come on should I change it still.

Yes, it sounds like you need a fuel pump.

I'm not certain on the passlock, but the engine won't start regardless, so I would fix the fuel pump issue, and then see if it starts. Attempt the relearn procedure again, if necessary.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will do. Let you know how it goes
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician