Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When driving it for 1-2 hours it loses power. Let it sit…

When driving it...

When driving it for 1-2 hours it loses power. Let it sit awhile and runs again

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Fluctuates

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1993 Camaro v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camaro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm thinking about buying it. The owner told me the problem he's having

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

I would suspect the catalytic converter is plugging up on it. They tend to expand when good and hot and restrict the exhaust. There is testing to confirm it, it's called exhaust back pressure test. It involves putting a gauge on the exhaust in place of the oxygen sensor, then driving the car.

I think you'll find that a new converter fixes this up. Expect to spend $500 or so to have it replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you

You're welcome!

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician