Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Error code P0128. 85,000 + change. 2005 colorado. my FIXD…

Error code P0128 Mechanic's...

Error code P0128

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

85,000 + change. 2005 colorado. my FIXD app told me this

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, not fixing myself. Just found this late yesterday pm

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What type of repair do I need? How soon? If I can't take my truck in for a few days, will it die on me? Doesn't seem like it, it's just taking longer to warm up.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

May I have the engine size in your vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3.5 or 5 cylander

Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

The P0128 is pointing to a problem with the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) Sensor or the Thermostat. So, both should be tested for proper operation. If the vehicle is taking longer to warm up, good chance the Thermostat is stuck open. The ECT plays a role in radiator cooling fan operating, so if the cooling fan is working correctly, suspect the Thermostat. As for "how soon" - this is definitely something you want to have addressed more sooner than later. I would not recommend driving very far or very long. I see here you do not plan to fix this yourself, so as a heads-up... the thermostat sells for around $53 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 1.1 hours to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -