Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Has a new battery, when I turn key to start, I can hear the…

Has a new battery...

Has a new battery, when I turn key to start, I can hear the solenoid click but won't turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

It's a standard, so I have pulled the truck off and started it. Yes the steering wheel will turn just fine. The key is worn but what does that have to do with anything? The key switch is energizing the solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1998 2500 chevy pickup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've checked voltage...about 13 volts.. Ive checked fuses, they're OK. checked for loose wires at starter and battery, that seems OK

3/17/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

You have a multimeter, yes?

are you there?

I am, yes, sorry, I am helping several people at once.

Put the multimeter on DC volts. Put one lead on battery positive. Put the other lead on the large terminal of the starter where the cable attaches. Attempt to crank engine, see what the meter reads. It should be at 0 before you crank it, and it will go up when you turn the key. I want to see how high it goes.

Jerry, How am I going to put one lead on the battery, one lead on the starter terminal under the truck, then turn the key from inside the truck, and the read the meter all at the same time?????? Can't you just give me some things to check?
If I was able to do that. what should the voltage reading be?

On your first question, I prop up the meter so I can see it from the driver's seat through the windshield. It can be done, I do it regularly.

Voltage should be low, if you go to start and that reading goes to 10V, that would indicate a bad cable.

a high voltage would indicate and open circuit. I can also disconnect the cable and ohm it out. what else should I check if the cable is good.?

Don't ohm it, that is not the same test as a voltage drop. When you try to start it, the starter is trying to pull 150amps through that cable, and that's when we're testing it. With an ohmmeter, you could have one tiny strand of copper holding the cable together, and it would read 0 ohms on the meter. Two completely different tests and results.

OK. I'll try your test. If the cable is good what are other possibilities?

Negative cable is just as suspect. Do the same test on the negative cable, from end to end, meter on DC volts, and try to crank it. Either of those two cables can be bad and cause the starter to not have enough amperage.

If the starter clicks but won't turn over, it's getting power to some degree. It's going to be a matter of battery or cable issue from that point.

OK, Thanks, I'll try that, If That doesn't fix it, I'll get back with u.

OK, I'll be here for awhile today/tonight.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician