Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My cars check engine light comes off & on all the time. We…

My cars check engine...

My cars check engine light comes off & on all the time. We have had it scanned for codes and it just always says “multiple misfires” and the problem is the camshaft position sensor. My car does not have one, it’s a 2003 cavalier.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It’ll stay on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have replaced the spark plugs, fuel injectors, coils, the ignition control module

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also the fuel filter has been replaced

3/17/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Was the coil and ignition module replaced due to this problem? How long ago? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright cool thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea it was! Bc the whole coil thing on the cavalier is one piece the ignition module came with it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It runs completely fine but sometimes does really soft misfires when it starts “acting up” after we replaced the fuel injectors it’s been acting better but the check engine light still comes on and reads the same code.

How often does code come on? Did you replace coil with a used one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I forgot to add that we also replaced the crankshaft po
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Position sensor *
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The coils were brand new we replaced them a couple months ago. It comes on randomly like maybe once a week sometimes or once/twice every couple weeks

What is the actual camshaft position sensor code you are getting? Were you getting the camshaft position sensor code before replacing ignition module?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it’s the same code every single time no matter what we replace. I think it’s a p0430 code which leads me to believe it might just be my computer, I’ve taken it to 2 mechanics and they can’t figure it out. Though my car runs perfectly fine except for the subtle misfires every now and again.

P​0430 is related to the catalytic converter. When it misfires does it seem to happen more at idle or when going down the highway?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It happens under 2000rpms is when it misfires
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s the only time it will misfire is under 2000rpms
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s been doing this for almost 6 months and when it first started having problems it completely shut off and that’s when the problems really started to happen and we started replacing things. It also in the beginning would suck gas but after replacing some things it stopped that.

I​ would consider replacing the ignition module again. The ignition module acts as the camshaft position sensor on this vehicle so if you are getting camshaft position sensor codes that would be the place to start. I'd also try to wiggle wiring between ignition module and PCM to see if you can get it to act up which would point toward wiring/connection problem. Let me know if you have ore questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright thanks!

No problem, let me know how it goes or if you need anything. The coil/ignition module is problem is misfires on this vehicle about 95% of time. The ignition module is cause of camshaft position code 95% of time. I've seen timing chain also cause ca sensor code but that wouldn't be a intermittent problem if that was the case.

Dan, Technician