Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The power steering keeps going out. Can the fuse be changed…

The power steering keeps...

The power steering keeps going out. Can the fuse be changed at home? And where is the fuse located?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

I can't find where to check it, that's why I thought it was a fuse. And yes I hear some whinning

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005 Chevy Malibu some parts have been 20051/2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just looking so far. Trying to go cheap as I'm broke lol

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that it has over 200,000 miles

3/17/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

What engine does your car have in it?

EcoTech 2.2
Ecotech 2.2

OK, let me look at some schematics, bear with me.

When you say it "keeps going out" what does that mean? How do you get it working again when it stops working?

When I start the car it will be working then during the drive it will signal with beeps and stop working. It becomes very hard to turn. When I stop some where and then restart the car it sometimes works for a while then beeps and goes back out

OK, so you're not doing anything to bring it back to life except cycling the ignition off and on, correct?

There is a recall for this problem, can I have your vin to see if your car falls under the recall?

1G1ZS52FX5F261133

It appears that this campaign was already performed on that VIN, so you don't get another free repair.

This basically comes down to the steering column. The column has an electric motor and a computer, it's all one piece, and it needs to be replaced. If you had a bad fuse, it wouldn't be intermittent, it would just not work. I've seen enough Malibu steering failures to know how this is going to go for you, though. A new steering column is several hundred dollars, last time I priced one, and they require dealer programming before it will work.

I understand you're trying to save some money. You might try calling junkyards and see about getting a used column, it will probably plug and play if it came from the same year and model as yours, and will cost a lot less that way.

Well, that figures!! I don't remember having it go out b4 but the numbers know, right. Thank you very much. Have a good day

You're welcome!

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.